sick cory?

pumpknmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi everyone,

I had four cories for several months until a few days ago one died unexpectedly. Now I have another one that doesn't seem to be doing well. It's been against the side of the tank for the past two days, not eating, but since I can see it breathing I know it's still alive. The other two seem lazy, but they do eat and move around periodically so I think they're fine.

I have a 10 gallon tank and change out a gallon of water every few days. (Usually every other day or so.) Last night I had 10 nitrate and the ph was between 7.0 and 7.2. The LFS tested my water a few months ago and said it was soft, and that many of his customers in my town have problems with soft water. I bought something to reduce the water softness, but never used it because I was afraid of messing with the tank. The temperature of the tank is 76 degrees F. I also have a female guppy, and six of her fry in the tank.

Any ideas? The tank is definitely cycled, and I've had the cories since January or earlier. (I didn't buy them all at once so I don't remember which ones I got when.)

Thanks!

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you have any salt in the tank. What are your current water level reading?

REDKAHUNA

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First lower the temp to 72 cories are not as tropical as most think. Do real water changes not 1 gal at a time do 3-5 at a time. I o my cories every 3 days min 3 gal most times 5. All mine are in 10 gal. tanks.

pumpknmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Water stats: Ammonia 0 Nitrate 10 ph 7.0 temp 74 degrees F
No salt in the tank

I did a 20% water change yesterday, and there's been no change in the fish. He's still staying against the side, breathing but nothing else.

pumpknmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OK, he's been lying in the same spot for the past three days. He's still breathing. Water changes don't seem to have helped as he hasn't moved, and I assume hasn't eaten either. I don't know what to do for him.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What are the nitrites?
Which test kit are you using?

I think you are overstocked and may be having water quality issues, which cories are sensitive too. I've been having problems, and my cories all died a couple of months ago.

pumpknmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't see how I could be overstocked. I have 3 cory cats, one guppy, and six guppy fry. The fry are still quite small and in the breeder box still.

I haven't tested for nitrites since the ammonia is 0 and the nitrate is 10, where it has been for months.

I can't figure it out...

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's only a 10 gallon...
If you have a liquid test kit, could you get a current reading of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? Even if it isn't the water, it's always good to rule that out first.

pumpknmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The readings are from the API liquid test kit. The sick cory died this morning so now I'm down to two cories.

On Tuesday night, the readings were Ammonia 0 Nitrate 10 ph 7.0 and I didn't check for nitrate. I think I'll get my water tested at the fish store today.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm sorry. You seem to be having some bad luck. I have 4 cories and my tanks went crazy at the start of the year (I think something happened with my water). I got a mini cycle that went on for weeks, the ammonia and nitrite were everywhere. Also we encountered ICH toward the end of last year, and I did add a small amount of salt (just under half a dose as I did have the cories) to help combat it. Maybe I just got lucky, I don't know

Through all of this, my cories are still fine, still active, appearing randomly near the top of the tank as they work their way up. Well my pandas do, the julii aren't quite as hyperactive lol! I'm afraid I have no idea as you do...

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads