10 Gallon Tank Sick Cory- Please Help!

logicallyy

Thank you for clicking on this! I hope you can help me out with my little cory friend. Here's some info!

I'll the start off immediately by saying that I am a beginner, and have only had fish for a few weeks. Thank you for being patient with me!

Tank:
What is the water volume of the tank? 10 gallons
How long has the tank been running? approx. four weeks
Does it have a filter? Yes, mini bacto-surge sponge filter and an aqueon XS quietflow internal power filter. (for 3 gallons, my buddy told me to get this because of my betta).
Does it have a heater? Yes, 50 watt aqueon submersible aquarium heater
What is the water temperature? 76-78 degrees fahrenheit
What is the entire stocking of this tank? One julii cory, one peppered cory. (Had lots of fish deaths recently)
Some extras: I have three marimo moss balls and an eco-bio stone/block

Maintenance:

How often do you change the water? Once or twice per week, depending on ammonia levels
How much of the water do you change? Approx. 1/3
What do you use to treat your water? API quick start and API stress coat
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? substrate and water

Parameters:

Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No :/ Unfortunately I didn't know about cycling tanks until I already had fish.
What do you use to test the water? API freshwater master test kit

What are your parameters?
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 7.4

Feeding:

How often do you feed your fish? Generally once per day or every other day
How much do you feed your fish? One pellet whenever they finish eating the other one.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega one shrimp pellets
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Not since my other fish died

Illness & Symptoms:

How long have you had this fish? Approx. four+ weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 16 or so hours ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Discoloring (see image) and lethargy. Sitting at bottom of tank and gasping with lots of gill movement.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Moved to quarantine bucket yesterday evening, then to a smaller clear cup this morning so I can have him at my desk to keep an eye on him as I work.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Perhaps. This poor guy has been a bit of an oddball ever since I got them. A bit less active than my other corys, and overall a very laid back and chill fish. I suspect they've been this way due to poor breeding or water conditions while at the store (and for a while after I brought them home). They've gotten quite a bit darker since initial purchase (pictures included below).
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Lethargic and panting at the bottom of the tank. Moves very little, but is moving occassionally without external stimulus.

Here's them now:

And here's from when I first got them:

Thank you so much for reading!! And I hope the information provided is at least somewhat helpful. Please let me know if there's any more information I should include, or if there's anything that doesn't make sense or is confusing.

Tristen

logicallyy said:
Thank you for clicking on this! I hope you can help me out with my little cory friend. Here's some info!

I'll the start off immediately by saying that I am a beginner, and have only had fish for a few weeks. Thank you for being patient with me!

Tank:
What is the water volume of the tank? 10 gallons
How long has the tank been running? approx. four weeks
Does it have a filter? Yes, mini bacto-surge sponge filter and an aqueon XS quietflow internal power filter. (for 3 gallons, my buddy told me to get this because of my betta).
Does it have a heater? Yes, 50 watt aqueon submersible aquarium heater
What is the water temperature? 76-78 degrees fahrenheit
What is the entire stocking of this tank? One julii cory, one peppered cory. (Had lots of fish deaths recently)
Some extras: I have three marimo moss balls and an eco-bio stone/block

Maintenance:

How often do you change the water? Once or twice per week, depending on ammonia levels
How much of the water do you change? Approx. 1/3
What do you use to treat your water? API quick start and API stress coat
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? substrate and water

Parameters:

Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No :/ Unfortunately I didn't know about cycling tanks until I already had fish.
What do you use to test the water? API freshwater master test kit

What are your parameters?
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 7.4

Feeding:

How often do you feed your fish? Generally once per day or every other day
How much do you feed your fish? One pellet whenever they finish eating the other one.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega one shrimp pellets
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Not since my other fish died

Illness & Symptoms:

How long have you had this fish? Approx. four+ weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 16 or so hours ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Discoloring (see image) and lethargy. Sitting at bottom of tank and gasping with lots of gill movement.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Moved to quarantine bucket yesterday evening, then to a smaller clear cup this morning so I can have him at my desk to keep an eye on him as I work.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Perhaps. This poor guy has been a bit of an oddball ever since I got them. A bit less active than my other corys, and overall a very laid back and chill fish. I suspect they've been this way due to poor breeding or water conditions while at the store (and for a while after I brought them home). They've gotten quite a bit darker since initial purchase (pictures included below).
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Lethargic and panting at the bottom of the tank. Moves very little, but is moving occassionally without external stimulus.

Here's them now:

And here's from when I first got them:

Thank you so much for reading!! And I hope the information provided is at least somewhat helpful. Please let me know if there's any more information I should include, or if there's anything that doesn't make sense or is confusing.
It sounds like he’s stressed from being moved to a tank, ammonia in the water, the gravel looks kind of big so it’s probably bothering his barbels, and he is not in a school with the same type of corydoras.

CosmicFish

Corys are known to be sensitive to water parameters in their tank. So if the tank doesn’t have good water, then the Corys will be the first to feel off about it. Does your tank have a lot decorations/other plants to create a lot of hiding places? Or is it just the moss balls?Also, Corys are social creatures with their own kind. He might be feeling a bit insecure due to no family (however I dont recommend getting more until your tank is cycled).

i do find it a bit odd that your tank hasn’t started cycling yet even though it’s been up for 4+ weeks. I have many 10 gallon tanks, you should be at least seeing Nitrites at this point if not the entire tank heading near completion.

How come you’re feeding your fish shrimp pellets?

Slightly different question, but how long do you leave your aquarium lights on?

I think you should probably move the little guy back to the tank instead of the cup.Being in the cup will stress him out further than just being in the tank.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom