Sick Cory Again :(

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Sarah Laferriere, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Sarah LaferriereValued MemberMember

Hi, I noticed one of my corys has a few patches of white film on it. Then just now I noticed a few of it's fins are starting to deteriorate as well. He is less active then the others. I checked the water parameters and the nitrate is high for normal, usually everything is at zero. I'm not sure if that's the issue or what?? 51029ac6bcb465bf807dd5b49f04fd35.jpgc86713fd956948defb08acd32477ac5e.jpg42b8f1491142ef9f6a6957f38def480d.jpg6c6b2dbe1e370a4d04f631a01f01c6f1.jpg99f27ce9ed31ecb3f892bdb41ef76e25.jpg

2. wem21Well Known MemberMember

@CindiL

CindiL is fishlore's doctor!

3. CindiLFishlore LegendMember

4. Sarah LaferriereValued MemberMember

Thank you I'll get the meds in the morning. I was reading about columnaris last night. It said it will kill the fish in 24 to 48 hours. I believe he's had it that long already?? Will he still be able to recover?? It also said it's highly contagious as well, will the meds help all my fish to not contract it??

7db53c2d3d3f7a1d8826a32a6e96383a.jpg

Good??

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  5. CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Yep, thats good.
    There are four different strains of columnaris, one which lingers for months to one that kills in 24-48 hours.

If the fungus doesn't clear up after the second dose (four days) I would re-dose after a water change for another four days and also add in kanaplex.

6. Sarah LaferriereValued MemberMember

Ok, thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

The directions say to treat the tank, then treat again in 24 hours. After another 24 hours do a water change then repeat. Does that sound right??

7. Sarah LaferriereValued MemberMember

a7fd3669fd66656a9946499fe64caa7d.jpg

Here's the sick little buddy. He's actually not hiding so I'll take that as a good thing :)

8. CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Yes that sounds right and I'd recommend a whole treatment round for a second time with water changes every other day.

9. Sarah LaferriereValued MemberMember

I also ordered the kanaplex, I'll have it by the 3rd.

10. CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Ok, great! Maybe you won't need it, but its best to start treatment with it if the nitrofurazone isn't enough.

11. Sarah LaferriereValued MemberMember

I've actually read you mention that med countless times so I figure if I don't need it it's probably good to keep on hand.

12. Sarah LaferriereValued MemberMember

1c3e4f43ea2d67b0d26e221127079c92.jpgf5670f5b0582efe263dd4a7eb88de709.jpg

So my little fishy is doing slightly better. One side has cleared up quite a bit but the other has not. He does seem more active and is hiding less. The other med gets delivered the 3rd so hopefully that will clear up the rest??

13. CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Are you still on the first round (4 days)? Or have you started the 2nd round? Yes adding the kanaplex to it should do the trick.

14. Sarah LaferriereValued MemberMember

Yesterday was the 4th day I added it to the water, i guess it confused me thinking that was 2 rounds?? So I'll have to go buy 2 more packages tomorrow and do another 2 rounds.

The store is out of the meds until Friday but the kanaplex will be delivered tomorrow. Can I just use that??

15. CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Yes you can just use that though the two work best together. How is he looking?

16. Sarah LaferriereValued MemberMember

He's noticeably better but still has a patch on one side and the other side has cleared up a lot. He's a lot more active then he was too.

17. CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Since its not gone, I'd consider using both honestly. Sometimes thats the only way to get rid of it.

18. Sarah LaferriereValued MemberMember

I get the Kanaplex today and the other is available Friday. Should I wait until Friday and do both??

19. CindiLFishlore LegendMember

20. Sarah LaferriereValued MemberMember

Ok, thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice