Sick Congo Tetras?

Elaine84

Hi, I have 3 male Congo tetras which are losing their colour. One seems puffed up and has a little pine cone effect and another has an enlarged lip. They eat normally and are not lethargic but I have the feeling that they are ill! Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance!
20190808_110719.jpg
20190808_105941.jpg
1565255383966.jpg

jdhef

What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH readings?

Elaine84

What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH readings?
My nitrate is always high due to tap water conditions. Ammonia and nitrite 0. Ph around 7.

The temperature is a concern as well.. it is 31°C. There is not much I can do as temperature outside is reaching 35°C daily!! And we do not have an AC in the living room!

I have a quarantine tank but currently it is occupied by 6 congos and a male betta as I bought them just over two weeks ago.

Thanks!

Redshark1

Elaine84 Maybe you can switch off the lights during the heatwave. The lights raise my temps by 6C. But you will have considered this.

In my experience with Congo Tetra (30 years) this problem is always a water quality issue. I realise that this may not be the case so please don't take offence.

For mine I have 26C, ammonia 0.25, nitrate 40, pH 7.2. Lots of aeration too. Freeze-dried krill (soaked), frozen bloodworm (thawed) and live daphnia for food.

Should be OK if you can match this. Regular water changes may help.

Your tank looks great. All the best.

Elaine84

Elaine84 Maybe you can switch off the lights during the heatwave. The lights raise my temps by 6C. But you will have considered this.

In my experience with Congo Tetra (30 years) this problem is always a water quality issue. I realise that this may not be the case so please don't take offence.

For mine I have 26C, ammonia 0.25, nitrate 40, pH 7.2. Lots of aeration too. Freeze-dried krill (soaked), frozen bloodworm (thawed) and live daphnia for food.

Should be OK if you can match this. Regular water changes may help.

Your tank looks great. All the best.
HI Redshark1,

Thanks for your reply! My light system is made of LEDs so it does not give off that much heat. And I cannot switch them off completely due to the live plants.

Water quality is ok apart from nitrate. I also use BioNitratEX in the canister filter to reduce nitrates. I also have a co2 system running which then switches to aerator during the night.

I feed my fish a variety of food from frozen to flakes.

One of my Congos did not make it unfortunately. But I have placed the other two in a 10 l bucket with an aerator in the main bedroom. I have an ac running in there and the water temperature has dropped to almost 26°C. I am also treating them for bacteria. Been doing this for 2 days. But today I fed them thawed blood worms and they have not eaten anything!

Have I done the wrong thing by placing them in the bucket? I am thinking that they are stressed out due to long term high temperatures..

Any further suggestions please? I am doing all I can but it doesn't seem enough

Thanks!
1565704489110.jpg

Elaine84

HI Redshark1,

Thanks for your reply! My light system is made of LEDs so it does not give off that much heat. And I cannot switch them off completely due to the live plants.

Water quality is ok apart from nitrate. I also use BioNitratEX in the canister filter to reduce nitrates. I also have a co2 system running which then switches to aerator during the night.

I feed my fish a variety of food from frozen to flakes.

One of my Congos did not make it unfortunately. But I have placed the other two in a 10 l bucket with an aerator in the main bedroom. I have an ac running in there and the water temperature has dropped to almost 26°C. I am also treating them for bacteria. Been doing this for 2 days. But today I fed them thawed blood worms and they have not eaten anything!

Have I done the wrong thing by placing them in the bucket? I am thinking that they are stressed out due to long term high temperatures..

Any further suggestions please? I am doing all I can but it doesn't seem enough

Thanks!
1565704489110.jpg
Pic of BioNitratEX
1565704880647.jpg

Redshark1

Elaine84 I would not have put them in a 10 litre bucket myself. This is because I would expect them to suffer from ammonia in addition to stress from the vastly different cramped conditions and treatment.

I would improve water changes, aeration, stop CO2 and reduce the temperature in the main tank.

If I could not improve the water conditions in their main tank I would not know what to do.

How long have you had them? If recently purchased they could have arrived with a disease.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
Hansonzg
Replies
Views
GlennO
Replies
Views