Sick Clown Loach Help

1. Tan073

Tan073 New Member Member

My clown loach initially showed signs of overeating and bloat. Started 3 days ago. Overate bloodworms. Now it seems it is in a lot of pain. Not swimming and curling it's body around. Seems to shake when moving. Even popping it's face barbs out which looks like pain reaction. I fed some peas on day 2 but not sure if it ate. Belly has gone down a little but still seems in pain. Still showing color but slight grey in black area. Performed water changes every other day. Water parameters good. Ammonia:0, Nitrites 0, nitrates under 10ppm.
    Tank is 40 gallon, heavily planted with wood. Tank been set up for 3 years so well cycled. All other fish okay. Might put in qurantine tank tonight. Is it constipation or worse?Sick loach video.mp4

2. Goldfishfreak

Goldfishfreak Valued Member Member

I would definitely move him into a quarantine tank so you can keep a better eye on him. Keep the water in the quarantine tank as clean as possible by doing at least every other day water changes. He may still just be constipated, it can take a while for it to go down. One of my platys was very fat and she starting flashing so I quarantined her. I haves her salt baths and peas to help with the constipation and when she was skinny again she stopped flashing and hasn't since. You could try a salt bath but everyone has a different opinion on that. And the salt I used is api aquarium salt not table salt or salt water tank salt.

For a salt bath I did a 1/2 tablespoon in a one gallon container of tank water for 10-15mins for 3 days. Just don't poor the salt water back into the tank.

It could also be dropsy which is usually genitic or cause by bad water but it doesn't seem like bad water. If it's dropsy he will most likely die.

Try separating him and put only blanched deshelled peas in the tank and you can try salt baths. See what happens and wait for more advice.

Sorry to hear he is sick, but I hope he gets better.

3. OP
    OP
    Tan073

Tan073 New Member Member

Thanks for the reply @Goldfishfreak
    Unfortunately the fish died last night

4. Goldfishfreak

A that's too bad.

It must have been dropsy then and since your water is good it was probably genetic. There probably wasn't anything you could have done.

Hope the rest if your fish are healthy though!

5. OP
    OP
    Tan073

Tan073 New Member Member

@Goldfishfreak Could it be dropsy if I had the fish for 2 years? I had a similar incident with a yoyo loach a few weeks ago which was also after eating the bloodworms. Luckily the yoyo came good after no food for a couple of days. I wonder if they swallow the substrate. Can this happen? I have fine black quartz substrate. Tried plecos a few months back and both died within 2 days. Purchased 6 bristlenose last weekend and 3 dead already. Maybe the bristlenose were infected with something as I didn't quarantine them. I also lost a platy the day after introducing the catfish. I can't seem to keep catfish for some reason. Or anything for that matter atm.

6. Goldfishfreak

Dropsy can effect them at any time.

What is your ph gh and kh like. Plecos, catfish, and loaches can be sensitive to them

7. OP
    OP
    Tan073

Tan073 New Member Member

Now Ph: 7.0, Gh 5, Kh 3.
    Temp 25c - 26c.

Yesterday kh was 0 and ph was lower at 6.6 so I raised a little. I'm only just learning about the kh and just started testing.

8. Goldfishfreak

It could have fluctuated while they were in there or been to low or high. They are very sensitive to them. IME catfish and loaches prefer softer acidic water and plecos like medium soft neutral water. My plecos and loaches live in a tank with medium soft water and slightly alkaline. So they will tolerate others but it should always stay stable. What are you using to raise it? It may be not helping but only acting as a band aid fix. A stable kh is very important for a stable ph. Stability is better than perfection

9. OP
    OP
    Tan073

Tan073 New Member Member

I used a ph buffer. Biotope ph balance. yes just a band aid. My ph had always been higher around 7.4, so not sure why it is now going low.

10. Goldfishfreak

You should look into getting a powdered kh buffer it would really help keep the ph stable. I think Seachem makes one. Do you have anything like driftwood, or anything that leaks tannins in your tank? They lower ph

11. OP
    OP
    Tan073

Tan073 New Member Member

Yes I have a lot of wood which does leak tanins. More lately as I removed the wood a couple of weeks ago to scrub off algae and leaks more tanins since. The buffer I used is powdered. I will check out the Seachem one.

12. Goldfishfreak

A kh buffer works better than a ph one. A stable kh is better. Once you get it stable and consistent then you can work on raising it. Monitor is so you can make sure it's not changing for no reason.

Hope you have success with this and are able to get loaches again!