sick cichlid

Marinero

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi there...I have a demasoni who looks like he is in very bad shape :'( He used to be the dominate fish, but ever since my Auratus matured the demasoni has gone done hill. I have 6 mixed species of mbunas in a 42 g tank and my water levels etc are great and the tank has good cover/rock caves. The other mbanas who are a bit larger than the demasoni seem to be in great shape. I did some reading and saw that the Auratus is the most agressive of the mbunas and needs 125 g tank. I think I'm going to trade the Auratus back to the pet shop and get others.

But, any tips on nursing my poor beat up demansoni back to health? He seems to be a lot skinner, I never see him feed, and his jaw looks a little crooked or something :-\

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If you don't already have one, get a 10 gallon quarantine tank. You can use a sponge filter for filtration, and you will need a heater of course. Pulling him out of that environment will probably help a lot right now, and will allow him to de-stress until the bully is gone. Keep the water very clean. Daily water changes will probably be necessary since the tank won't be cycled.

Marinero

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Also, I notice that most of his stripe definition is gone too :'(

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
the only thing i have to say which might help...is that stress from other bullying fish can just kill a fish instantly..plus its not that relaxing or nice to watch the fish being pestered constantly. If the fish is always with the bully, day annd night it can just wear it down

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom