Sick Cardinal Tetra - Help!

Mandarabe

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
got a text from my dad this evening saying that he has a sick fish - he seems to think I know everything about fishkeeping despite my only having a year of experience!

So - he bought some extra cardinal tetras yesterday and put them in the tank (123L planted tank, running for 8 months).

Knowing he is an old school fish owner (throw em in and see if they settle in - little or no adaptation to water conditions except temp) I suspect he just matched the temperatures and put them in - possibly just tipped the whole bag of water in with the fish...

Got the text this evening saying one of the fish had a white fin and staying separate from the others at the side of the tank. I advised him to put it back in the bag and float it in the tank until I could get off work, just in case it is infectious. I suspected fin rot, but now having seen the fish i’m Not sure...

The top fin is very slightly ragged, but the area around it is completely faded with no colour at all - I now have it in a hospital tank with medica fungiStop and a little aquarium salt... have I done the right thing?

is it fin rot or something else? Do I need to treat the main tank to stop whatever it is from spreading?

There is shrimp and baby guppies in the main tank as well, so I need to be careful what I put in it - I almost poisoned my own tank of shrimp before now, luckily I read all the teenie tiny print before adding the medication to the tank!

Up until now there has been no problems with disease or tank conditions (plenty of plants to take care of ammonia, nitrate and nitrite even if he does miss water changes, I check it for him at least every 2 weeks) and only has a slight algae problem which I am treating with hydrogen peroxide every other day...

Any advise would be appreciated!
image.jpg

LeticiaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi Mandarabe !

I think it looks like neon tetra disease, but I thought cardinal tetras didn’t really get it. Maybe Columnaris? Either way, ensure that it is quarantined from the rest of the tank to minimize disease spread.

I am still new and just learning about diseases myself...please hold on for advice and a diagnosis. I will try to tag some experts for you!

@chromedome52 @coralbandit @Momgoose56 can you guys help?

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I vote for columnaris..
Close observation is needed but I would not be inclined to treat . Since it has been removed the major threat has been also IMO.. Watch the others though ..
If the fish does not get better on it's own I would euthanize .

Mandarabe

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the advise - hopefully this will teach him to quarantine any new fish before adding to the tank!

Do you think I should dose the tank with aquarium salt as a just-in-case? He was actually expecting a delivery of crystal shrimp yesterday but luckily it didn’t show up! If i need to dose the tank with anything more than salt it could get tricky...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom