Sick Blue Tang! Please Help

1. zzaznhan626zz Initiate Member

I have a sick blue tang at this moment. it is still eating fine and stuff but the face color has faded and there's lots of holes on the face (similar to craters on the moon).

I have been feeding, live blood worms, brine shrimp, flakes, and frozen algae (i put it in but not sure if it ate any of it or not) It doesn't like to try new foods at all, and it seems that it only likes the live blood worms. I ocassionally provide some nori seaweed for it but I don't see it eating that too.

I have another yellow tang in there that's doing perfectly fine. Aquarium size 100 gals. Blue Tang size: 3" Yellow Tang: 2.5"
    Kept this fish for about 8-9 months right now.
    It has been about over weeks now and it seems like it's getting worse.
    What in the world is wrong with the Blue Tang???

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrate: 20
    Nitrite: 0
    PH: N/A

2. VenomGrass Member Member

[Post Edited]
    Please could you supply a pic?
    Thanks

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi zzaznhan626zz welcome to FishLore
    I'm sorry to hear about your tang. I'm sure one of our salty members will be along soon.
    Is is possible to post a picture?
    Best of luck.

4. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Sounds like it may be a diet issue... I'd cut back on the blood worms and maybe switch over to mysis instead. P. hepatus also needs a lot greens in its diet. Get some fresh dried sea veggies and use a veggie clip or place under a rock for him to eat all day long for several days or weeks even to see if he improves. The other tang will appreciate this too.

5. sgould Well Known Member Member

I'll +1 the diet. Even though they will take meaty foods when made available, tangs are herbivores and need a diet consistent with that to stay healthy. Try Mike's suggestion with the dried stuff in a clip or under a rock. If he still won't go for it, you could see if you can pick up some macro algae at your LFS...I have a scopas tang that really enjoys picking at Caulerpa racemosa, which resembles little tiny grapes growing on vines. It is pretty easy to anchor the ends of the "vine" under a rock, or even just in your substrate and let the tang graze. My theory in suggesting this is that if the tang is not going for the dried stuff, offer him something a little more natural.

6. locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

I don't believe blood worms is a good food for the tang, if that's all it's been eating for the 8-9 months than most likely it's mal nutrition. If it's been eating other foods, specially seaweed than it could be stress related.

7. charzar-g Well Known Member Member

I had some bloodworm left over from my fresh tank, and i asked the LFS if i could give my salties bloodworm - she said it was a very bad idea. as bloodworm isn't from the ocean anyway.