Sick blue tang, please help ASAP!

alyd1987

Hey everyone. Please help! I have a small Blue tang and she is sitting in the corner of my tank and my mother thinks she is sick. Her under belly is a lighter blue than the rest of her and her eyes seem to be bulging a little.
Any thoughts? I am out of town until November and my mother is watching the tank for me. She tested the water for me, and the parameters are as follows:
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
PH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Temp: 84 degrees
Phosphate: .25 ppm

If anyone has any experience with this happening to their tang, please let me know what happened and if there is anything I can do for her
Thanks so much!

cm11599ps

How big is the tang and what size tank is this? What other livestock do you have in the tank and what test kit are you using to get your readings? What's your salinity? How long has the fish been in the system?

alyd1987

The tang is about an 1 1/2 inches maybe and the tank is 36 gallons. I know it can't stay in there forever. I did my research on this fis prior to purchasing and I know I have time to upgrade to a bigger tank before it becomes unhealthy for it. It has been in the tank about 3 1/2 months. I only have 3 other very young fish in the tank, 2 clowns and a pajama cardinal. I am using the test kit by APC. My salinity is at 1.022.

cm11599ps

The salinity is too low. It needs to be brought up to 1.025

I would strongly disagree about keeping the tang in your current situation. I would bet he is stressed out due to the confines of your small tank. Tangs love to swim and zip across the entire tank. Even at that small size, he should still be kept in a much larger tank. That could very well be the reason the tang is not well. It will only be a matter of time before the tang sickens your other livestock now.

Do not purchase fish that you currently don't have the proper tank for. Things very often get in the way so a lot of people never get that "bigger" tank and the fish suffers and dies, just like what's happening to you. You may have the best intentions of getting a larger tank and that's great. If you do have good intentions then get the larger tank now or get rid of the fish.

Stang Man

The tang is at the stress level that needs to be reconsidered,My major consideration is how long did you have this tank up prior to the introduction for the tang? Also what is your full tank description and what equipment do you currently have? How do you do water,is it filtered withR/O water and what salt do you use?How long have you had this tank and how many pounds of live rock do you hold? Please tell me all details of how and when you started and also what are you doing to keep things as stable as possible?

kloseo

agree with all the above, your ph is a little low as well. It should be 8.2 to 8.3

Most photos and links are disabled if you are not logged into the forum.

Top Bottom