Sick Blood Parrot

Micki317

I'm new to this whole website so if I post on the wrong thread I'm sorry!

I ended up getting two blood parrots from a friend who moved away. I've been raising them for about 8 months with no problems in a 50 gallon. The temperature has been set for 82-87 degrees. Their diet consists of the weekly cube of blood worms and then daily they are fed either flakes or pellets. Both parrots are 6+ years old and are about 9inches. Four days ago one of my blood parrots started refusing to eat and became severely pale, his last bowel movement was white and stringy. He's not his usual self either. Now he sits at the top of the tank just staring off into space, he was the most aggressive but now he lets himself be bumped by the other BP. Two days ago I've started doing 25% water changes everyday and since been adding aquarium salt. The blood parrots color came back but he still refuses to eat. I tried feedings peas in case it was constipation but he refuses to eat that. The other BP I have been feeding separately and he shows no symptoms like the sick BP. My water parameters are perfect with a PH of 6.4.

Chaory

White stringy poop is a sign of parasites.

Some people treat it with Epsom salt pellets. Some use a med call clear. I personally use Parasite Clear, but some other parasite meds should work, if not then try the other that I'd mentioned.

Also what is your water readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates?

You should try to keep the water temperature steady.

Micki317

Ammonia and nitrite are 0, while nitrates is 10. After adding the medicine when do you recommend a water change?

Chaory

You can follow the directions. Me I personally use it for a week, then do my weekly water change, then repeat dose, up to 2-4 weeks.

I currently use Parasite Guard and not Parasite Clear. I don't think they make anymore Parasite Clear. You can also soak the food with the meds and Garlic Guard and feed it to the fish or use a small quarantine tank, that way you use less meds.

Petmountain has a bulk of Parasite Guard for $20. I usually get mines from them.

NeonRasta

82-87 is way too high a temperature for blood parrots drop it down to 78

Micki317

When the temperature is at 78 they're lethargic and become pale. They're blood parrot cichlids, which is a tropical fish so typically yes their tank is above 82 they've had no problems before with this temperature.

NeonRasta

Even my salt water fish can tolerate avove 83°. And 72-78° is the best range for a healthy tropical fish ask anyone at your LFS. When you have the water above 82 the water become less oxygenated and it is harder for them to breathe.

Micki317

Which is why I have 3 air stones in the tank. To avoid the oxygen problem

Lchi87

And 72-78° is the best range for a healthy tropical fish ask anyone at your LFS. When you have the water above 82 the water become less oxygenated and it is harder for them to breathe.
I agree that higher temperatures = lower levels of oxygen but 72-78F being the best for healthy tropical fish is over generalization. Some fish do better at higher temperatures and others do best at lower temperatures. It's best to set your heater within your specific fish's desired range.

Micki317 Are you able to quarantine your sick BP? I would treat using something broad spectrum like API General Cure.

Micki317

I'm not able to quarantine him sadly I wouldn't want to put him in the spare 10 gallon that's way too small for him. After using herbtana he's gotten his color back but still he hasn't eaten, atleast I haven't seen him eaten. And he continues to stay in the same place

NeonRasta

You shouldn't need 3 airstones in the first place I don't run any for my tanks because I use powerheads that create oxygen by agitating the surface of the water

Micki317

Okay, well clearly temperature or oxygen isn't the problem with my BP since they've been completely okay with it the past 8 months. And the original owner had his BP tank at 82 also. so unless you have any advice on treating my fish, I don't need a lesson on how to keep fish. Just as Lchi87 said all tropical fish are different. BPs do well in warmer waters

NeonRasta

If it's an internal Paris it you can go with seachem kanaplex you just have to mix it into the frozen food and it treats internal and external parasites

Micki317

Thank you for the suggestion

NeonRasta

Thank you for the suggestion
There are a lot of good medications made by seachem just go on their website and browse them they have medications for parasites, fungus, bacterial infections you name it. I am using one of their medications right now for my severum because he is missing some of his skin and he is already showing improvement and it's only been a couple of days.

Micki317

I've only used excel from seachem for my plants. So everything else from seachdm is unexplored waters. So how often do you think a waterchange would be necessary for this treatment?

NeonRasta

I've only used excel from seachem for my plants. So everything else from seachdm is unexplored waters. So how often do you think a waterchange would be necessary for this treatment?
Well it depends really depends on the medication you are using. For example I am using kanaplex by seachem right now and I am dosing the medication every other day for a total of 3 doses then I will add carbon and do a 30% water change in my hospital tank. Really all I can tell you is I guess follow the instructions because I don't know the medication you are using.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RyGuyOG
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
CrazedHoosier
Replies
Views