Sick Blackmores Please Help

1. M

Michellethompson@ New Member Member

BC5A1804-E3C4-48A7-9106-D2C1218684E4.jpeg my blackmores have been staying at the bottom of the tank (one more than the other) they are still eating just not swimming round much. Today I noticed this white/grey patches and little tiny flakes on them. Again a lot more on one of the fish than the other. I am not sure if they have ich as well as some other illness. Can someone please help.

Attached Files:

2. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

@Goldiemom (lemme bring in the goldie expert)

Can you give us:
    Tank size?
    How many fish?
    What is your filtration?
    Water temp?
    Is the tank cycled? Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

3. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Tank params as @penguin02 asked for will help a lot. Is it fuzzy? Do pictures of either columnaris or cosita look similar?

4. OP
    OP
    M

My tank size is 40 gallons, my filtration is an internal filter which is 800 if. My tank was not cycled as I stupidly took information from my local aquarium shop who obviously only care about selling the fish. I stupidly thought they would give me the best advice before I bought my fish. The told me to use biocycle for 3 days then I could add the fish. Which now I know is not right since reading up on my fish being ill. I’m not sure about the temp either. I feel so bad not knowing this stuff. I did try and do the right thing by asking my local aquarium what I need to do before I purchased them.

Sorry I forgot to say I have two blackmores in the tank

It doesn’t look fussy it looks like they are fading in colour almost and turning white/silver in places. But when I look really close the also have tiny white dots on there bodies as well

5. Rtessy

Costia is a parasite that causes an overproduction of the slime coat, it sounds similar, but I haven't been in this hobby long enough to say for certain.
    And hey, please please don't beat yourself up, you actually have a great sized tank and filter! That's a huge obstable 99% of the time with the petstore lies. You started of so much better than I did. Basically, the petstore I asked said it was fine to keep a goldfish in a 1 gallon bowl, and I thought I was doing great by getting a 2 gallon bowl... yeah. It doesn't look like Ich to me.
    If you believe it to be costia (and if someone else on here also thinks so) it can be treated with basically any generic Ich medication. Keep in mind, the medication contains copper, so if you wanted to keep snails, shrimp, or other invertebrates, it may be better to use a QT. You could grab a sterilite container that's 20 gallons for ~$10-12, I believe, and that would be a good QT. If you don't want any inverts, don't bother with this at all.

6. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

I’m not sure but the fish is definately not feeling well at all. How long have you had them? @Gypsy13 , can you help me? The black moor has white patches on tail and body and some white smaller spots that look similar to ich. It does look like a bad case of ich. Gypsy13, should they use the temp method or meds in this case. The fins are clamped and if it is ich, it has progressed.

7. OP
    OP
    M

Hi I have only had them since Tuesday, I only really noticed the white on them today and all day it seems to have looked like it’s getting worse each time I am looking at them.

Thank you for that hopefully someone else on her could confirm if it is or not. I don’t have invertebrates but I do have live plants, would the medication be ok for the plants? Thank you for your reply

8. Crafty Cichlid

Crafty Cichlid Valued Member Member

Don't beat yourself up, it happens all the time! :D

I would first do a 50% water change (wc). You probably have an ammonia buildup, which is most common with new tanks (though that doesn't really explain why the fish aren't at the top of the tank):bookworm:. Clean water is a must for fish recovery! When replacing the water, make sure to use a dechlorinator, most go for Seachem Prime, but I use Terta AquaSafe Plus. (I like the big yellow bottle, and the shiny label.)

I wonder, what (if anything) did the LFS sell to you as far as chemicals, and liquids and such? Do you have a heater (which I hope is set on the low end, if adjustable. If there's some SafeStart, or Seachem Stability in there, the store might not have lead you as astray as it seems, they could have just better explained how to do it.

-Bother with the medicine, not the quarantine tank (qt)

I'm hesitant to give more advice than you already have, until I hear back from you. I would get a thermometer though. @Goldiemom can probably tell you optimal temperature, and maybe give insight on a thought - could this be because there's a preset heater meant for warmer water fish?

(P.S. I love black moores! Great choice, I wish they did well with my fish - I would have 100 of them.)

9. Goldiemom

Do you have a heater? If not, go ahead and see if you can find Kordon Rapid Cure since they are getting worse. You can find it at Walmart. It usually kills ich in about 48 hrs and is good med. You’ll want to remove your carbon while treating. I don’t think it is Costia. Ich often shows up a few days after getting new fish.

10. OP
    OP
    M

Hi thanks for getting back to me.
    I have no heater in my tank although I do have one (came with the tank I bought). The only chemicals and liquids I have used is aqua care tap water conditioner. I have also used fluval cycle biological enhancer, and tropica premium nutrition plant care. I’m from the uk so some of these brands could be different from the USA.

I done a large water change today no more than 40% though, adding the tap water conditioner to the new water before putting it into the tank.

I’m in the uk so I would have to see if we have that brand here thanks for your reply.

I will buy a thermometer straight away as well. I know they are beautiful fish. I just feel so bad that I have only had them less than a week and they are ill

11. Goldiemom

Folks, these fish probably are suffering from an uncycled tank but what we are looking at is NOT ammonia buildup. That causes burns, not white spots. It’s ich. I mean no disrespect but be careful in diagnosing an illness unless you are sure of what it is. Throwing things out there is not going to get the fish well and only confuses the poster. I know this is all with good intentions but there are no ammonia burns to justify ammonia issues. We need to get Ich Treatment started quickly as these fish seem to have a bad strain of it.

12. Rtessy

True, but it's a lot harder for them to heal if their immune system is already being bombarded by another toxin

13. Goldiemom

If we don’t get this ich under control it won’t matter what toxins they are dealing with. If the tank is still not cycled, then w/c’s with Prime every 48 hrs need to be done along with Ich Treatment until the fish recovers.

14. Rtessy

I'm not trying to devalue the medication, I just think a multi pronged attack would be the best in this case. Getting the medication is the current most important thing, with 50% daily water changes for a few days being the next most important thing. I definitely agree with you, it won't matter if the medication isn't gotten, but since there is the ability to fix the other problem at the same time, I don't see why it shouldn't be mentioned.

15. Goldiemom

That’s fine but what about the nitrites and nitrates? Concentrating on ammonia right now isn’t going to get the tank cycled. I am really confused by all of this. Daily changes shouldn’t be done with meds. That’s why I had said every 48 hrs. I was called in for help but I don’t think we need to be confusing the poster by different advice. All is cool and no problems at all. I’m going to let you handle this one. Let me know if you need anything. Let’s just get the fish well.

16. Rtessy

@Goldiemom I truly didn't mean to make you feel like you had to leave! I feel we just weren't understanding one another, but if anyone here is more experienced, it is you. I've never personally dealt with Ich, so I feel if one of us were to step out, it should be me. I truly didn't mean to disagree or anything, but since I'm hindering you, I'll step out

17. OP
    OP
    M

Thank you I’ve started the treatment today, I took the pictures to my local pet store and they said it looks like ich and velvet. The treatment I got treats ich as well as velvet and costiasis. So hopefully my poor fish will be on the mend soon. I will keep you posted on how they are after treatment. Thank you very much for everyone’s advice

18. Goldiemom

Hope they recover quickly. Let us know!

19. OP
    OP
    M

I lost both of my fish today. I am not sure if they was just too sick or if the medication was too much for them.

After I put in the medication they both was moving a lot more than they have been doing, which I thought could be a good sign.

20. Goldiemom

I am so sorry to hear this. I was hoping for better news. You did your best.