Sick Black Molly?

ChoiHx1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have been keeping a black molly for at least a month at this point, and he is very sickly. He is 2.7 inches, swims well, and eats like a little piggy.

When I first got him, and when the weather got cold, he got ich all over his body. He refused to eat, was hugging the heater and was gasping at the surface. I used Paraguard to clear up the ich, and he did fine after that.

Well now, about a week ago I got hornwort for my fish from Agway. About few days later, I found out he had some white spots around his left side, especially around the fin. As the days passed, the scales started falling off and the white patches began to appear. Appetite is fine and he responds well, looking happy. The temperature is 78-82 F.

I did add a little bit of aquarium salt. He has banana plant, mossball and hornwort in his 3 gallon cube tank, I do have carbon in his filter. I do 15 % water change every tuesday, thursday and saturday.

The white patch seems to have come because the scales were falling off. The splotch on his dorsal fin cleared up, but the one on his body remains.

What is wrong with him? What should I do? Also, why is he so sickly? He gets sick around once in every 2-3 weeks at this point with something.

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Unfortunately the problem has to do with the tank he's being kept in. Mollies produce a lot of waste for their size and shouldn't be kept in anything smaller than a 20 gallon. They can also get surprisingly big.

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle and do you have a test kit?

ChoiHx1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Aquaphobia said:
Unfortunately the problem has to do with the tank he's being kept in. Mollies produce a lot of waste for their size and shouldn't be kept in anything smaller than a 20 gallon. They can also get surprisingly big.

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle and do you have a test kit?
I am living in a college dorm room, so the biggest tank I can fit in is probably 10. He is the only one in the tank, though..

The tank has been cycling ( I think, it clouded up and cleared afterwards before I moved him in) and I sped up the process with stress zyme+ and the filter water from his former tank. I do not have a test kit.

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Then move him to a 10 ASAP, get a large capacity filter and move his current media over to the new filter and test your water. Either that or rehome your molly and get something that can actually live in a smaller tank. A betta would be a good choice!

ChoiHx1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Aquaphobia said:
Then move him to a 10 ASAP, get a large capacity filter and move his current media over to the new filter and test your water. Either that or rehome your molly and get something that can actually live in a smaller tank. A betta would be a good choice!
I'll do that ASAP, is there anything I can do for the molly's white spots? Would it cure if I move him to a bigger tank? Or should I keep treating him with paraguard even after I move him? Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If the paraguard is working then continue with the treatment. Moving him to a bigger tank won't by itself cure the issue but it will help by reducing stress on the fish and allow him to better fight off diseases.

ChoiHx1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Aquaphobia said:
If the paraguard is working then continue with the treatment. Moving him to a bigger tank won't by itself cure the issue but it will help by reducing stress on the fish and allow him to better fight off diseases.
Okay, I'll do that. Doing water change everyday till I get the new tank this weekend would help? Also, I'm sorry that I'm asking a ton of questions, but what should I do to enhance his basic immune system? I heard someone recommending seacheam Garlicguard?

ChoiHx1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you so much, I'll try that. I just changed his water, don't really notice anything different with his behavior because he's already very active. I'll keep doing that till I get my new tank in the weekends.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom