Sick Black Mollie

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by teener, Apr 24, 2017.

1. teener

teenerNew MemberMember

We've had our beautiful Black Mollie for probably 2 months now. She was big, bold, and lively. Shortly after she began acting sluggish... we had some water quality issues and some lost fish. Since then our water quality is right where it should be. We've had some days where we thought we'd lose her because she's so sluggish and doesn't really fight to eat with the rest. We got a Dalmatian Mollie thinking it wants company... but it turns out the Dalmatian is pregnant and is rather territorial at the moment.

The Black Mollie is normally found lingering on the bottom and occasionally swimming towards the top. When it swims it's almost as though she won't use her back fin, just her side fins. My brother keeps saying it looks as though she would have a spinal injury lol. I've taken a video today of when she came out for a swim, towards the end you see more of her struggle to swim correctly.

Any advice on what can be causing this? We're newer to fish keeping so it's hard to read everything on the internet and decide what we think is the best treatment.

Water quality normal.
    20 gal tank
    30 gal filter
    Heater kept around 72-74
    4 Cory Catfish
    5 Zebra Danios
    1 Blue Wag Platy
    1 Red Wag Platy
    1 Dalmatian Mollie
    1 Black Mollie

We are at full capacity now and we are looking for another tank for the pregnant mollie

Here is the video

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

I've moved this to the Freshwater disease forum to help get the best responses

3. EternalDancer

EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

She has a very bent spine. Did she come from the shop like that?

I'm still new, but I know bent spine is a sign of fish tb. I would quarantine her immediately until you can get some better info. Even if you can just put some tank water in a plastic tub and float her in the main tank (for temp control) until you find out more.

You say water quality is "normal" but, what is normal? Can you give actual numbers, specifically for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

4. OP
    OP
    teener

teenerNew MemberMember

I posted the other day but I can no longer view the thread and idk why. I had no one answer either.

We have had a gorgeous Black Mollie for almost 2 months now. She was bold, full, and beautiful. That didn't last long though. We battled some ammonia issues and lost some fish but we've been learning and have since fixed our water quality. She wasn't herself maybe a month ago. We bought a Dalmatian Mollie thinking she wants company but the Dalmatian is pregnant and rather territorial to the other Mollie right now. Our Black Mollie is thin, sluggish, keeps her fins close and doesn't swim often. When she does it looks like a struggle, as if she's not moving her body properly. Sometimes you see her mouth opening a lot but she doesn't always do that. We've gone back and forth reading sites and forums and videos but all the information is conflicting at times. Use this, don't use that, this can be toxic to the other fish etc. I'll attach 2 videos I have. Any and all input would be great. Hoping to have a 10 gal tank brought over tonight from a friend so we can quarantine her.

Current setup.
    20 gal tank
    30 gal filter
    Heater set 72-74
    4 Cory Catfish
    4 Zebra Danios
    2 Platys
    2 Mollies

Water ammonia spiked slightly today so I did a 25% change with Prime and Stability. Last water change was 4 days ago 25% as well. The Dalmatian and 3 Danios are newer so naturally we had a slight ammonia spike we've been monitoring but everyone is vibrant and healthy.

5. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

What is the ph of your water?

6. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

The mollies have big bioloads, so they need a minimum of 29 gallons. The big bioload might have caused the ammonia issues. I would suggest to upgrade your tank.

7. OP
    OP
    teener

teenerNew MemberMember

8? Do I use the High Range pH or just pH? Normally my brother does the testing and he's out right now

8. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

If the ph is 8, then your brother used the high range pH.

8 sounds fine for mollies

9. APierce

It might have a swim bladder issue, but with it thinning and fins clamped down, it could be other things as well. How high did the ammonia get and for how long and were you using prime during the time?

10. OP
    OP
    teener

teenerNew MemberMember

We didn't properly cycle. We learned the hard way like many that you don't just buy a tank and stock it all pretty. So we've had a rough start. Our worst was 2. But we've long passed those days. Recently we spiked to .5 with the addition of fish but have been water changing 25% when the ammonia reaches above 0 or the tank looks dirty. We use Prime whenever we do that. I would say we do that water change 1-2 times a week lately

11. APierce

It could just be that she was in the tank and it affected her in a bad way as well. We all start some where. Maybe someone else will have some ideas on how to help. I'm just not sure.

12. OP
    OP
    teener

teenerNew MemberMember

Thanks I appreciate your input!

13. Nanologist

NanologistWell Known MemberMember

Do you add enough Prime to treat the entire tank or just the new water added?

I would recommend treating for the volume of the tank until it's cycled enough to have 0ppm ammonia on a daily basis.

Prime can only bind ammonia for 24-48 hours, but it must also be enough to treat the whole tank.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  14. OP
    OP
    teener

teenerNew MemberMember

Oh ok! I think we started treating the whole tank and once we were good treated for the water change. Didn't think of upping that since we're a little high on the charts currently. Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice