Sick Betta Help 

lu_1231

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok this may be a bit long but i want to put all the details in.

I have a 10gallon tank with 4 cory cats some live aquarium plants which has been set up since september.My tank has a heater kept at 26 degrees and a filter running. I have been changing their water twice a week since the tank started and gravel vacuum it too.

Ammonia 0.6
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Temperature 26 degrees

(but this is only after my cory died)

Ok a week ago my betta started to hang around at the top of the tank, not doing anything or swimming and had stopped eating, i did a 25% water change and hoped for the best.
Two days afterwards one of my cory cats became sick with blood streaked fins and sadly died the next day. a day after that another of my cory cats got blood streaked fins and also died. I since did a 75% water change and my betta has shown no improvement yet my 2 left corys are fine.

I have since moved my betta to a QT tank where i have been doing a 50% daily water change and an airstone running. as after research i have a feeling my catfish had died of nitrate poisoning.

My betta is still hanging out at the water surface where on a few occasions i have thought he died.
now my betta has developed fin rot and now has a strange white blob too big to be white spot at the base of his pectoral fin, this is causing him lie sideways and have big problems swimming.
I managed to feed him some blood worms today but not much.
I have been treating him with aquarium salt and fin rot medicine whilst in the QT tank.

Is there anything i can do, i am at my wits end, trying to treat him.
Any help is appreciated
x

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hi lu_1231, welcome to fishlore !

Whenever there is ammonia present in the tank, it can easily cause problems. You may want to read up on the nitrogen cycle (click the underlined link). Basically, mature tanks have bacteria that process ammonia and nitrite and turn them into less toxic nitrate. If your tank has been set up since september, I am surprised that your tank is not cycled though. What test kit are you using? Many liquid test kits require you to really shake up the nitrate test bottles or you will get a false negative reading.

Nitrate poisoning wont become too bad in most cases until nitrates reach at least 40+. Check the symptoms of ammonia poisoning and nitrite poisoning. They are all very similar, but considering that you have ammonia in the tank, I would assume that is the problem

For treatment, the best thing for fin rot is clean water. Doing daily water changes is terrific, and has probably helped him more than you think. If you can get your hands on prime or amquel+ that will also help tremendously. Those water conditioners are known to effectively detoxify ammonia and will help your betta. I would recommend that you dont use aquarium salt any longer. Pet stores also suggest it as a quick remedy, but bettas are fairly sensitive to salt and it may be doing more harm than good. Im not sure I can tell you how to treat the white blob right now, if you can post a picture that can help someone to identify it so they can tell you what to do. To me it sounds like it could be either fish fungus or columnaris, you may want to research those two diseases

It would also be helpful if you could fill out your aquarium info for us. It has areas to fill out for most of the questions people will ask you, like what, if any, products are you currently using in your aquarium?

I hope your fish starts getting better quickly!
-bass master

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
+1, a picture will help us greatly. You can find Seachem Prime on eBay, I will never use another water conditioner again!

For finrot, clean water with Prime and Stress Coat will do him a world of good. Bettasreact surprisingly well to clean water conditions! Meds can make it worse sometimes, but if it can be fixed without it, then I prefer to avoid meds. If he is stressed already then meds can further stress the poor boy .
Try get us a picture, or here's a graphic link to a diagnosis site (use as guidance only though) https://www.jbl.de/onlinehospitaluk/perpicture/index.php?Step=2&GalleryId=2

lu_1231

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thankyou for your reply.I have tried to attach a picture, sadly its taken from my phone so the quality is not too good, But you should be able to see the white mark at the base of his fin. I will try and get a clearer picture for you. It does not look like fungus though.

Would columnaris affect his ability to swim as at the moment, when he swims its almost on his side?

I will try using no aquarium salt and see if it helps him improve. I am currently using Tetra aqua safe dechlorinator and Esha 2000 which treats fungus, finrot and other things.

Maybe my fish is not affected by nitrate poisoning like i thought as i cycled my tank for 2 months before putting the fish in the tank in september, i have not had any problems with any of them or the water quality. I just thought it was poisoning as both the cory cats that died had all symptoms of ammonia/nitrate poisoning.

Lucie

Attachments

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ammonia is itself a water quality issue and the presence of ammonia means your tank is not cycled.

Here is a good link on columnaris and fungus:

If it hasnt spread much over the past 24 hours, I dont think it is columnaris, look at the article for fungus.

I would start using prime or amquel+ rather than medicating at this point. As Tigerfishy said, you would be surprise how much clean water can do for your betta

used2bN2horsesLOL

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How often do you test your source water? Just a suggestion to try to figure out where the ammonia spike is coming from since it's an established tank and there weren't any recent additions.

I learned the hard way to test mine every time out of the tap after a 30% pwc made my ammonia double instead of go down. Might want to check that too.
I read that in the summer treatment plants alter their process for extreme heat, borrow from other districts supply, etc.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads