Status
Not open for further replies.

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My betta is sick and I don't know what's going on with him

He eats, but looks thin. He's not active just lays at the bottom I'm try penicillin to treat him, but that's just because I shooting in the dark.

I guessing internal parsites, but I've had him for over 6 months and he's been fine up til now. Where would he have gotten internal parasite?

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sorry your fish isn't feeling well.
Beginning questions:
Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? ppms please. Even if you've already tested, it's a good idea to test again, just to minimize the chance of error.
What do you feed him?
Anything odd about the tank? A sudden outbreak of algae, temp suddenly rise or fall (I missed that one once and lost a betta in a 90+ degree tank), anything different at all?

OP
L

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
All the test show okay. I have 5 other betta's living on the same food and water change schudules.

I feed him Betta food, bloodworms and flakes. He's been like this for a few weeks. Nothing that I'm aware of has changed with his living conditions.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
All the test show okay.
The reason I asked for PPMs is that some test kits register certain levels as "okay," even when they're not. Asking for PPMs, rather than just asking "are the levels okay" bypasses any potential confusion on the matter.

I have 5 other betta's living on the same food and water change schudules.
Good. That may mean that whatever's going on is isolated to that one tank. However, it's always a good idea to check everything over.

I feed him Betta food, bloodworms and flakes. He's been like this for a few weeks. Nothing that I'm aware of has changed with his living conditions.
Sounds pretty good. I would strongly suggest either the Hikari or Omega One brands of betta food. I believe there's one other brand that the betta parents around here really like. Most brands are primarily fishmeal byproducts, which is a scientific way of saying "the garbage that has little nutritional value and that people won't eat, so we put it to use in pet food."

I've had two bettas suffer similar issues. One appeared to have problems swimming because his tail outgrew him (he was a runt, and his tail was huge compared to his body). With the other, I never figured out what was wrong with him.

If nothing shows up as odd, you can either take the aggressive approach; medicate for different potential problems and hope you get it (this is the approach that doctors often use to diagnose an illness), or you can take the passive approach; good food, water changes, perhaps some mild "meds" like VitaChem and perhaps MelaFix or PimaFix.
Neither is better than the other. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. You've got to choose which you prefer.

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Er, hate to disagree w/ you Sirdarksol, but isn't Melafix a bad idea? I'm pretty sure that's what killed my first Betta. Hope your boy gets to feeling better very soon Lanlesnee!

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Er, hate to disagree w/ you Sirdarksol, but isn't Melafix a bad idea? I'm pretty sure that's what killed my first Betta. Hope your boy gets to feeling better very soon Lanlesnee!
Not really. It's a myth (based on a partial truth, as all good myths are) that came up here a few years ago.
Awhile after the whole "never use Melafix with your bettas" came up on the forum, I started looking into it. If you go to almost any other aquarium forum and say "I heard you can't use Melafix with your bettas," the overwhelming response will be "That's just the opinion on that forum."
It is true that an overdose of Melafix can be fatal to bettas, but overdosing with any med is a bad idea. If your betta died from what sounded like Melafix poisoning, and if you're sure you didn't OD the tank (really easy with bettas, as we're almost always dealing with small quantities of water. One extra drop is a huge deal), you would be the first case I have heard of where a betta has died of a proper dose of Melafix. Meanwhile, I have read dozens of cases of people who have used Melafix with their bettas and had nothing but success.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've read pro's and cons about melafix and bettas.
This isn't the only forum that doesn't recommend it.
I'll look for the link and post it if I can find it.

Personally, I wouldn't take the chance.
From the symptoms, I would suspect parasites also. In which case melafix wouldn't do any good.
Melafix, at least when it comes to other fish is more topical.

Last edited:

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok, well, I probably overdosed then. It was really hard to tell how much to use. Now I feel bad. My poor fishy! :'(
As I said, it's easy to do. Don't feel too bad. There's definitely a reason that the warning is there. I just feel that the "DON'T EVER USE IT, YOU WILL KILL YOUR FISH!" that was originally preached was a bit overboard.
I should have included this in my post: if using either PimaFix or MelaFix (can never remember which one is for internal and which is for external) with any small tank, and especially with a small tank stocked with labyrinth fish, underdose rather than overdose. If I ever treat a labyrinth fish with Melafix, I'd use no more than half strength.

Lucy, I would like to see that. I've been trying to get as complete of information as I can on the topic, and, unfortunately, there is little solid info. I'm having to piece it together from the scattered info I find.

Last edited:

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I found the link, sadly, the link article in the thread is broken:

If I re-call, it has something to do with the concentration of oils in melafix and the labyrinth organ.
You probably already found that out through your research.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom