Sick betta Important 

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Messages
3,698
Reaction score
30
Points
143
Experience
3 years
OK, if you're gonna use this method, then it's more than likely that the cycle is going to be pushed back for a while. Do not wash your filter sponge or the media though, you need to save all the bacteria you can for now or you will be right back to the start of the cycle as if you had done nothing before.

You have an action plan now though, you will be doing the best you can possibly do for your bettas and things will pick up soon, OK?!

(Here's a freebie tip for you as you're so tired and worried: When you move them to the 10g tank, use the filter media you have already to help seed the new tank, the cycle will be a ton quicker that way especially if it gets fully cycled before you upgrade! )
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #22

justloco

New Member
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Points
76
Experience
Just started
Tigerfishy said:
OK, if you're gonna use this method, then it's more than likely that the cycle is going to be pushed back for a while. Do not wash your filter sponge or the media though, you need to save all the bacteria you can for now or you will be right back to the start of the cycle as if you had done nothing before.

You have an action plan now though, you will be doing the best you can possibly do for your bettas and things will pick up soon, OK?!

(Here's a freebie tip for you as you're so tired and worried: When you move them to the 10g tank, use the filter media you have already to help seed the new tank, the cycle will be a ton quicker that way especially if it gets fully cycled before you upgrade! )
Yea I have more of a understanding now thanks to you guys.


Sadly the little buy didn't make it though the night. But I still went to petland to get the triple sulfa as I seen mouth fungus when he passed. very hard to find the Vita-Chem out here. I don't know why.. I can find everything you don't need for the betta's.. Go figure.. I am worried of the others really getting sick also. So is it safe to treat them both in the same tank?
 

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Messages
3,698
Reaction score
30
Points
143
Experience
3 years
sorry to hear this . If they were all in the same tank then they will already have been exposed so maybe treating isn't a bad idea, but with fungus, I've never had it with a betta. I'm sure on the betta med list I posted earlier, you will find some betta safe ideas.

I know over here in the UK that I have to get Vita-Chem online, and a lot of the US guys have to get it online too. Try eBay, I saw loads listed there yesterday in the US in different sizes. You can use the freshwater or marine stuff, I use the marine stuff as it was the only version I could find over here.

EDIT: Triple Sulfa is on the list, and Jungle fungus is also there, I understand the Jungle products work well as they are quite weak so do not harm the fish as much. It's up to you, but keep a very close eye on them if you're medicating and changing water daily. Every water change will remove some medication but you must keep up the daily changes so no ammonia poisoning occurs. Just be careful not to overmedicate.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #25

justloco

New Member
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Points
76
Experience
Just started
Wow garlic huh? Interesting. So does the bettas have to eat the garlic? I'm kinda confused over here.

When using the triple sulfa am I not supposed use the filters? I moved all the other guys to a separate tank the neons and corys. I have the other 2 bettas back in the divided tank, I Also have the filter on. Sorry if I'm asking repeated questions i'm just very confused at this point.
 

midthought

Well Known Member
Messages
601
Reaction score
14
Points
113
Experience
Just started
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #27

justloco

New Member
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Points
76
Experience
Just started
Yes it helps greatly because i'm going to change the water now. Would it just be better not to use the fliter and just use the heaters?

Once again thanks!
 

midthought

Well Known Member
Messages
601
Reaction score
14
Points
113
Experience
Just started
I'd keep the filters on and just remove the carbon. Maybe someone else could chime in, but I think that's what I'd do.
 

Lucy

Moderator
Messages
45,664
Reaction score
2,388
Points
1,383
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!!
I'm sorry you lost your betta and this little guy isn't well.
What are your water readings today?
I noticed your ammonia was quite toxic on the 22nd.
 

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Messages
3,698
Reaction score
30
Points
143
Experience
3 years
Justloco, always keep the filters on. I personally do not use carbon at all, but that's personal preference. It will be perfectly fine to run them without!

As Lucy says, what's your readings for today? Are they looking better?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #33

justloco

New Member
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Points
76
Experience
Just started
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
pH 6.6
ammonia .25
temp 80

I'm doing daily water changes, well now I am. So on the back of the medication it says to do a water change every third day, now im just not sure if its a full or partial change, I also wanted to say they are glass partitions in the tank and im not to sure if the water is filtering correctly. Is it better to just take out the filter while I am treating them? I already took out the white cotton like filter.

I hope he gets well. I've been losing lots of sleep over this
 

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Messages
796
Reaction score
3
Points
113
Experience
5 years
Justloco, I know the feeling I have lost 3 bettas in a week 2 males from a still unknown ailment and a female this morning with no symptoms. I wasnt lucky enough to catch it in time the fish were fine at 6 am and dead or well on their way by evening. Good Luck with treating the little guys!!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #35

justloco

New Member
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Points
76
Experience
Just started
I know what you mean. They we're all fine 3-4 days ago full of life and like over night they took a turn for the worst. This is my first time owning Betta's and did think they're so hard to take care of.. The guy where I purchased them from gave me all the wrong info on how to take care of them. Wanna hear the funny thing, I ask him which tanks would be good for them he points to the 25 dollar 2.5 tanks. I called him yesterday just to see how much he would say for a 10 gallon tank he tells me 16 dollars.. That really P'ed me off. I could of avoided all this with a 10 gallon tank and some DIY separations..
 

midthought

Well Known Member
Messages
601
Reaction score
14
Points
113
Experience
Just started
justloco said:
I know what you mean. They we're all fine 3-4 days ago full of life and like over night they took a turn for the worst. This is my first time owning Betta's and did think they're so hard to take care of.. The guy where I purchased them from gave me all the wrong info on how to take care of them. Wanna hear the funny thing, I ask him which tanks would be good for them he points to the 25 dollar 2.5 tanks. I called him yesterday just to see how much he would say for a 10 gallon tank he tells me 16 dollars.. That really P'ed me off. I could of avoided all this with a 10 gallon tank and some DIY separations..
Oh that really sucks. I hope you can throw your money around to other stores who are less slimy.
 

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Messages
3,698
Reaction score
30
Points
143
Experience
3 years
Leave the divider in, the bettas cannot be in together no matter what! Keep up the daily changes, you are in the first stages of the cycle. You'll get nitrites soon, then you're on your way. Once you have nitrites, Nitrates will follow. Then you will have Amm=0, nitrites=0, nitrates can be any number. When this day appears, laugh and cheer, change 25% (roughly) water, and you're all set up and the daily water changes end...
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #38

justloco

New Member
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Points
76
Experience
Just started
Tigerfishy said:
Leave the divider in, the bettas cannot be in together no matter what! Keep up the daily changes, you are in the first stages of the cycle. You'll get nitrites soon, then you're on your way. Once you have nitrites, Nitrates will follow. Then you will have Amm=0, nitrites=0, nitrates can be any number. When this day appears, laugh and cheer, change 25% (roughly) water, and you're all set up and the daily water changes end...
Well the dividers are in the only thing is that water kinda goes through you have to slide them in. Does it still mattter?

I actually just got the vita-chem. Picked up amqel+, and the clear ammonia, and the guy suggested that I get methylene blue and said I should pre-treat the gravel for my other tank for 4 days before I do the cycling process. Does this sound right to you guys?
 

Shiba

Valued Member
Messages
132
Reaction score
0
Points
101
Experience
Just started
I'd put them in the ten gallon to cycle faster and it'll be mor water than the small one for each fish and the small tank isn't cycle in the first place.
Stop doing full water changes for sure and just treat as told above.
 

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Messages
3,698
Reaction score
30
Points
143
Experience
3 years
If you do actually have the 10Gal now, you can put them in there with the divider of course, but you do have to know that now your cycle will be starting from scratch if you clean and medicate the gravel. Cycling with the 25% water change every day method we discussed is the only safe way to cycle with the fish in the tank, and also they are being medicated. It will be hard on them, but be very diligent about water changes and not overmedicating and you give them the best chance.

This cycling can take between a few weeks to a couple of months, but be patient and your fish will thank you and be healthy. Please just be careful with all the meds, but if you're treating the fish, the gravel will also be getting treated anyway at the same time so I'm not sure why he suggested treating it before you do the fish, it would work the same if you do everything at once and get you started immediately with treatment and cycling (which is the priority here).
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom