Sick Betta Help

1. PattyinPHX Initiate Member

I have had my betta for almost two years. Until very recently he was always attentive and playful. He has become lethargic and has periodic spurts of energy but this morning he is vertical in the 1 gallon bowl with his mouth open on the top. My daughter is running to PetsMart to talk to them and pick up anything possible to try to help him. Any guidance is GREATLY appreciated. Didn't think I'd be this emotional over my little Charlie but he's a sweety.

THanks!

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!
    it could be a few things..do you know the water tests for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? that would be so helpful in us helping you...
    is the tank warm with a heater and filter?
    2-3 years is a normal life span for a betta so he could just be old.....
    if you can find some prime or amquel+ with some daily water changes , it could help him some...also soak all his food in garlic juice and that could help him feel better....goood luck with your lil man!

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore
    I'm really sorry Charlie isn't well.
    Shawnie's given some good advice. I also agree, his age could be catching up with him. :(
    It's pretty easy to get attached to these little guys.

4. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the forum. It does sound like old age. Has anything around him or his tank changed that could be causing him to sulk?

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Sending good wishes your way Patty and Welcome to Fish Lore. I hope your little buddy is going to be ok. Keep us posted.
    Ken

6. Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Welcome, sorry to hear this. Great advice above, let us know how Charlie does.