Sick Betta.

KatieLeigh

Reaction score
So my mother has had this “purple” female betta for almost 7 months, all in the same tank with the same parameters and maintenance. about 2 weeks ago we noticed that she was bloated, so we fasted her for 3 days and then fed her some smashed snow peas. suspected swimbladder, from then on she was only fed every other day and in very small doses but she still stayed swelled.
We tried everything to get her back to normal size but sadly this morning she had passed away.
Is there something I did wrong? Or missed?

Another strange thing was, when she was on the paper towel, her color CAME OFF her tail & body, like the purple tint WIPED off, she did not have fin rot, but I have never seen a betta fish do that.

It was just a very confusing and frustrating thing, and I was curious if anyone had any idea about the Color part.

The photos of her alive was the swelling after we fasted her for 3 days, and the last is the tail color coming off.

-thank you!

Attachments

JamesVader

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My first thoughts are that she became bloated because was carrying eggs.
Did she blow those bubbles that I see in the pictures?.... If so she my have been trying to lay her eggs. I would say she became egg bound and that’s why she died.

This happened to one of my female bettas before
She became very big with eggs and eventually died :(

OP
K

KatieLeigh

Reaction score
That may have been what happened. she wasn’t housed near a male so I’m not sure why she would produce the eggs.

have you ever seen the color leech off a fish before? her tail was bright purple. and after she passed the purple was coming off on the towel. it was very strange!
-Thank you!

JamesVader

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The betta will produce eggs even without a male if they are well fed and have good conditions. As for the color I’m not sure it sounds strange? When my betta got egg bound she lost a lot of color but I never saw the color rub off? Was she already dead when you took the picture of the paper towel? Maybe It’s just part of the decomposing process, most fish turn white after they die?

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry about your Betta.

Yes, I've seen the colour come off on a paper towel. I think it's just cells.

This bloating issue is extremely common and as nothing worked could be internal tumors. There is a post on here that might be worth reading, when you feel up to it. Type in RIP Lazarus in the search.

LittleLizardz

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Were her gills all puffy? If so, she might of had dropsy. One of my fish had dropsy, it had puffy gills, looked bloated,and it wouldn't eat. I am so sorry to hear about your betta :(

New Threads