Sick Betta

Jessokela

Reaction score
I have had my male Betta fish for 6 months. He is kept in a 5 gallon tank with a filter and a heater. He always swims around and gets very excited about food. Awhile ago I noticed some discoloration but he swam as normal. A few days ago he began sitting at the bottom of his tank not moving nor eating. After a 20 minute conversation at the pet store the employee recommended medicine for a bacterial infection. I put the medicine in yesterday as well as taking the filter out like the box said. This morning Reaper (my Betta) was out from under his ship that he’s been hiding under. I decided to feed him and he struggled to swim but he made it to the top and ate and swam around for a bit before returning to the bottom of the tank. Did I get the correct medicine for him? Or did I misdiagnose? He seems to be doing a bit better after just one day with the medicine.

This is also a side view of him in his tank at the moment

Attachments

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Poor little guy.
I’m going to fire away with my usual set of questions lol.

Does he have any live plants in his tank?
What is he being fed?
What are the water parameters?
Does he appear to have any fin damage?
Is he bloated at all?

OP
J

Jessokela

Reaction score
All of the plants in his tank are artificial. I feed blood worms, daphnia, mysis, and love seafood pellets to give him variety. His left side fin is shorter than the one on his right. It’s a 5.5 gallon tank. And I’m not sure if he is bloated

Jessokela said:
All of the plants in his tank are artificial. I feed blood worms, daphnia, mysis, and love seafood pellets to give him variety. His left side fin is shorter than the one on his right. It’s a 5.5 gallon tank. And I’m not sure if he is bloated
*live seafood pellets

OP
J

Jessokela

Reaction score
I just checked in on him as well, he seems to be starting to swim around a lot more with the bacterial infection medicine. Still has the discoloration but he seems to be doing a bit better

feeshi

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If he has had the pale spots for awhile it is likely just natural marbling, if it has appeared recently (last 2 weeks or so) I'd be more concerned. If he is improving and is still eating then I would certainly continue on the medication you are using. Extra water changes are always beneficial too, filter on just remove carbon/purigen because you need surface movement. If hes struggling to get to the surface could you find anything you can use for him to 'rest' on that's close to the surface? doesnt need to be pretty but will allow him to use his labyrinth organ for air just in case his gills are inflamed from whatever infection he may have.
Keep an eye on ammonia/nitrite levels during treatment, some medications can kill some good bacteria aswell.
I hope he continues to improve :)

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's a pretty heavy duty medication.

Definitely keep up on the water changes as mentioned above. I'd also add something like stress guard or tannins or something to help on a different level.

OP
J

Jessokela

Reaction score
What do you mean by heavy duty? Is it going to be bad for him? It’s a four day course but on the third and fourth day it’s a 25% water change before putting the medicine in

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Typically that’s the big guns, last resort medication, especially in cases that are rather vague as to what’s going on, because it can cause issues/side effects. However you’re already using it and seeing improvement? So I wouldn’t stop.

Definitely do the water changes.

Furan is known to be iffy with inverts and it can kill the beneficial bacteria in your tank so you may start your cycling all over again. Keep a very close eye on ammonia for the next week. Like daily water tests.
It can also kill some plants supposedly.

OP
J

Jessokela

Reaction score
I’ve been hearing a lot about cycling. What exactly is it and how do I go about doing it? This is my first betta so I’ve only starting hearing about it when I started research on what was going on with my fish

New Threads