Sick Betta?

Ryan.O.

Reaction score
HI everyone

I think that my betta might be sick. My sister had him ina small unheated tank in her room and we decided to put him in with my fish in my tank. at the moment we have him in a small breeder box in the tank. He belly is really big and fat and it looks like it drags him down. He usually sits on the bottom with his head sticking up. He swims to the top to eat but after eating he sinks back down to the bottom.

OP
R

Ryan.O.

Reaction score
Also he has this black stuff sticking out of his gills its weird I think he is pretty sick

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
If his belly is big he sounds like he may be constipated. How much have you been feeding him and what type of food? I think the first thing you need to do is stop feeding him and let his intestines clear out. If you can get him to eat a very small piece of green pea (frozen, peeled, defrosted, not canned) it will help. Put a tiny piece half the size of his eye on the end of a plastic spoon and hold it under water for him until he eats it. Small bits of pea is all he should eat for a few days until his belly goes down and he is able to poop.

The black "flap" around his gills is normal. All Bettas have it.

I would keep him in the breeder box and not set him loose in the tank. I can see by the list of fish you have in your sig that the Betta will not be safe in this tank. Gouramis are from the same family as Bettas and will fight and kill the Betta. Angelfish are also very aggressive and the neon tetras can be fin nippers and damage his tail and fins badly. Is there any way you can get a small heated, filtered 5 gallon tank for the Betta? They are much healthier in a heated filtered tank. If you haven't done so already, please visit the Betta section of this forum. Read through the posts there. There is a lot of great info there about Betta care.

OP
R

Ryan.O.

Reaction score
HI thanks we have been feeding him food made for Bettas, flake food and bloodworms. He only will eat the betta food. its really hard for him to get up to the top to eat the food so he waits for it to sink to the bottom. I have heard bettas don't get on with fish in my tank and I wasn't going to put him in the tank anyway.

OP
R

Ryan.O.

Reaction score
He won't eat the pea is this OK?

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
Keep trying. They always take a while to get used to it. Don't feed him any other foods for now. Don't worry, he won't starve. A few days without food is fine for him. Keep an eye on his tummy and see if it's getting smaller.

OP
R

Ryan.O.

Reaction score
Allright thanks I will wright back in a few days and say what happens

OP
R

Ryan.O.

Reaction score
We fed him about 1 pea cut up in to small pieces. We haven't fed him anything since then but his tummy looks like it is getting bigger.

OP
R

Ryan.O.

Reaction score
Is there any type of fish laxative u can get for my fish

New Threads