Help Sick Betta

Odin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi guys my I’m not sure what’s wrong with my betta as I have recently began treating him for fin rot with API melafix but he hardly every swims, even for food and spends most of the time hiding and if he does come out he’ll dart around the tank for a few seconds and then go back to lying on the bottom and breathing heavily. I’ve had him for a year and a half and the tank has been cycled for the same time. Ammonia-0 nitrite-0 nitrate -5 Ph-7.6

Not the best image

Here are some better ones

mikalac

Valued Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure if his behavior is caused by this, but Melanie is apparently very bad for Bettas as the oil coats the labyrinth organ and suffocated them basically. An easier/ more natural way to treat fin rot is to make sure the water is as clean as possible and warm (78-80), and if possible adding Indian almond leaves will help promote healing! If you get them, just be sure to take out any carbon in your filter or else it’ll be pointless

Odin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for replying I can’t see anything about melamine in the ingredients list but it does say that it contains melaleuca is that harmful

mikalac

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for replying I can’t see anything about melamine in the ingredients list but it does say that it contains melaleuca is that harmful
Yes sorry that’s what I meant! Typo haha. But yeah that is tea tree oil it’s what coats the labyrinth organ

LagerthaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I am not sure about that exact ingredient but I know the medicine in general doesn't work (from my experience) and can also cause more damage. The best thing you can do is stop using that medicine and do large daily water changes, water quality is key. Also, if he has been sick for a while I would recommend Kanaplex.

LagerthaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have an 5G tank and a elite stingray filter
That's good. I was just double checking to see if there was a root cause of the fin rot since tank size and whether or not they have a filter can be causes. Your tank setup is big enough and since you have a filter I don't think that's what caused the fin rot. Have you had him long?

Odin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi I have had him for about a year and half, I got him of eBay so I have no idea how old he was when I got him

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom