Help Sick Betta?

LucyC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi there!

I've had this betta fish for around 4 years, and recently he's been acting very weird. He's been very lethargic, and seems to have a lot of trouble swimming up, so he sinks down and has to try really hard to struggle back up to the top of the tank for air. Pretty much all day he's been laying in exactly the same position near the surface, not moving. I just did a 75% water change, and he's been fasting since last night because he looked a little bloated too. Right now he's just laying on the bottom of the tank not moving
Also I think he might have some problems seeing because sometimes when I feed him he lunges to get the food multiple times before actually eating it.

He lives in a 20 gallon community tank with a heater and filter and live plants, along with a school of Corydoras and tetras. I try to change the water every 1-2 weeks.

Can someone please give me some ideas as to what's wrong with him? Thanks!
Please try to reply soon I'm a little worried :/

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Unfortunately, those are all sure signs of aging, mine all went through the same thing when they got old.

They tend to have issues digesting food when they get into this condition, and that is why I recommend to feed less freeze dried or pellet food, frozen foods are easier to digest.
If he's having trouble reaching the surface for natural breathing, then you may need to decrease the water level in the tank to a comfortable amount that allows him to reach the top without having to work hard.

It's not common for a betta to live that long, especially with how the breeders of the store bought bettas are, they are often not very strong in health and have a very weak immune system.

LucyC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Unfortunately, those are all sure signs of aging, mine all went through the same thing when they got old.

They tend to have issues digesting food when they get into this condition, and that is why I recommend to feed less freeze dried or pellet food, frozen foods are easier to digest.
If he's having trouble reaching the surface for natural breathing, then you may need to decrease the water level in the tank to a comfortable amount that allows him to reach the top without having to work hard.

It's not common for a betta to live that long, especially with how the breeders of the store bought bettas are, they are often not very strong in health and have a very weak immune system.
Ok, thanks I'm glad he's not sick

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
When my four year old male died last year he basically did the same thing but instead he just laid on the bottom and came up for food.

LucyC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Update: he died late last night, it's very sad but I think it was for the better because he was probably suffering and fairly old =..(
thanks for the help

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Update: he died late last night, it's very sad but I think it was for the better because he was probably suffering and fairly old =..(
thanks for the help
I am very sorry to hear of the loss, he lived a wonderful life in your care.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom