sick betta

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi ppl i need urgent help for my fish, my red Betta (nickname jap) is really sick i don't know whats wrong with him , he went from being the friendliest fish in the tank , to now he is sulking and not eating, his body colour has went from a vibrant red to a dull pink colour, he has been moved recently but the tank he got moved to was to fast for him as its quite fast flowing as we have koi,goldfish,shubunkins, and they prefer it that way
we moved him cause he was harassing the females in his own tank so we moved him to give them a break, but he is a total mess now plus they have been biting his tail

any advise we would appreciate it thanks

hi thanks for the advise i forgot to mention in my hysteria i did move him from the goldfish he actually got on great with them they mainly ignored him . he is now in a jug for just now he has become a sick fish that you think is getting better one minute then looks ill the next lol,
his fins look as if they have been stuck together he is in a right mess . ???

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
Take him out of the tank with the gold fish. They can kill him. Now do you have a big bowl? maby a 1g or do you have another tank? put him in by himself. make shur his water is clean and the water temp is 75f-85f. I would try and use Melafix in his water as gold fish are filthy and he probaly has an infection.

What is the temp in the water now for him?

Also what fish where in the tank with him in the females tank?

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your sick betta, wait for rose to reply she is the betta expert on here. But I agree with leafgirl and you need to but him in a different tank. Good luck.

Buzz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Also consider his diet - if he was in a tank with other fish, he probably was not eating Betta food and may be constipated. i agree that removing him from there is a great idea.

Buzz

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He definitely needs a new tank that is heated and filtered.  He may have gotten too cold and slowed down his metabolism and then with the diet not meant for bettas and probably not the appropriate amount (betta fish have to have the amount of food they eat closely monitored) he is more than likely VERY constipated.  He needs to be on a veggie fast for a few days and get no regular fish food of any kind until he gets cleaned out or you can have a dead little betta.  I really do not mean to scare you here, but I want you to know how serious the situation is.

Bettas do become constipated very easily and it is so easy to keep it from happening but first of all you need to understand that goldfish and bettas do not mix.  Goldfish are not tropical fish, they are what is considered coldwater fish and Bettas need warm heated water between 78 to 80 degrees F or
26 to 27 degrees C.  It also needs to be filtered and cycled to have gone through the Nitrogen Cycle.  Goldfish are very dirty fish.  Their bowls are very dirty and not a good environment for any tropical fish.

Here are a couple of sites you need to read and the one on Bettas will tell you what to do to help your little friend get over his constipation.  He does need to get into something bigger than 2.5 gallons so you can heat the water since a 25 watt heater is the smallest you can buy and he needs to get warmer to raise his metabolism to help him be able to get over his constipation.  The larger the tank you can give him though is much better for him.

This is about the Nitrogen Cycle:

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Betta Article:

Rose

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi, i am not sure where you got the idea that he was constipated or on the wrong diet from as that was not the case. He has been happily swimming in with she goldfish for a couple of months without any problems and was always happy and well looked after. The goldfish did not annoy or attack him in any way!, also the big tank he was in was a 4 foot long by 1.5 foot deep by 1 foot wide and had a stable temperature of 27 degrees which it never dropped below, although it is a cold water tank it is tropical conditions.  Unfortunatly "jap" died during the night but i will say he was neither constipated or too cold....thanks for your replies and advice anyway. :'(

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A lot of the time when Bettas are constipated they will have a color change. Also the betta will eat anything put in the water if not controlled and it is so important not to overfeed the betta. If you are feeding other fish in the same tank, most any betta owner can tell you that it is almost impossible to keep them from overeating and that is a terrible cause for constipation. We were going on the conditions you gave us for the problem. You mentioned the fact that he had changed tanks twice, once to the goldfish tank and then to the jar. That is very stressful and that would have contributed to a problem for a sick fish. Goldfish are considered "dirty" fish as they produce a lot more waste than Tropical Warm Water Fish. It would be a major source of bacterial finrot to place a fish who is used to a "clean" environment into a tank with fish who are the large waste producers that goldfish and koi are. That is probably why the fins started to look like they did. I do not KNOW that the fish had constipation, but based on the information we were given that is the best guess we could give you. All the signs were there. It is no ones fault, these things happen and the situation was not a good one to start with.
I am so sorry you lost your fish, it is always a very hard thing to lose a fish you care about and we have most of us lost at least one of our little ones so we do know what you are going through. We do care what you are going through and are here to help if there is anything we can do. Please do not hesitate to let us know. You do have my deepest sympathies. In the Betta Board under the Freshwater Fish Species Specific - Betta Board, we have a memorial section if you would care to write a small memorial to your little friend, you are most welcome to do so. Again, I am so sorry. :'(

Rose
:'(

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom