Sick Betta Help

1. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

My male velitail betta has lost some of his fins. For two weeks I was doing %30 water changes every day because I thought he had fin rot but it just got worse. He still swims around and is very active but keeps loosing bits and pieces of his fins. He is a very friendly/Docile Betta and I wanted to get 6 harlequin Rasbora but I didn’t want to Incase this was something serious. Right now the only thing with him is a mystery snail, named butters. I have live plants only (Amazon sword) and a Little Rock mountain thing. He has a filtered and heated 10 gallon tank.
    Here are pictures of him and the tank: image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Ok heres my guess, Possibly not fin rot but hard to see because its dark. Mr butters probably did nothing wrong id assume. Heres what I assume. Thats filter intake looks like it may have ripped his fins... How bad is the flow on it? Also I suggest getting him some more hide outs and plants.

3. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

I put a cup over the outtake so there is close to no flow at all. He really only hangs out at the front of the tank and by that I mean swim back and forth all day. I guess that’s how he entertains himself. As far as the decorations, I plan on getting more live plants on Wednesday and I can just get another hideout for him while I’m at the pet store. If he did rip his fin on the intake, can I just put a sponge over it?

4. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Yep try a sponge over it or get a sponge filter. Do more water changes to help heal the fins and get some Indian Almond Leafs to stop any infections.

5. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

okay thank you i will