Sick Betta Help

1. spike98

spike98 Valued Member Member

I have a divided betta tank and both have got velvet which I think some snails brought with them. I currently treating them and it seems to be working for one betta great while the other seems lethargic, slowed breathing, and struggles to keep near the top. I think it may be the medicine but it looks to be reducing the velvet but at the cost bettas health too. I lowered the water levels in hopes of making able to get to the surface easier and remove some medicine. Was this the right move? The medicine is kordon rapid cure ich disease treatment, it says its quick relief for ich and protozoan parasites. I chose this as it's the only medicine I could find in my area besides some type of tetra all around medicine stuff. I know copper based medication is better but I've yet to find any here.

Attached Files:

2. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Could you please post pictures of your fish? Lowering the water level is ok as long as the heater is still in the water.

3. OP
    OP
    spike98

I'll post a picture as soon as possibl3 Iowered the heater to fit the water level.

4. Gypsy13

Thank you. :)

5. OP
    OP
    spike98

He looks like hes in just as bad condition or even worse. I almost thought he was dead when I was first observing him. He has very shallow breaths. I posted a picture of the other betta to show just how much better he is than this one. If you need anymore pictures let me know. With his current condition I don't think he'll make it another night.

Attached Files:

6. Gypsy13

Do you have him in super clean water? By that I mean do you know your parameters? What’s the temp?
    I’m calling for eyeballs now. Don’t let him give up! @Mary765 @Rtessy @Goldiemom @Skye_marilyn and anyone else willing to look at this betta for me? Super urgent. Please?

He sounds so pitiful. :(
    Can you shine a flashlight on him then take a picture?

If you have aquarium salt, dissolve a teaspoon in a cup of water, then add to the tank (unless you’ve removed a lot of water. Then a half teaspoon)

Do you have access to malachite green in your area?
    Super clean warm (80-84 degrees) water with the salt will help a lot. But if it’s progressed too far you may need the mgreen.

7. OP
    OP
    spike98

I just left to see if there is any new medication at my lfs and will test and take more pictures when I get home. The medication I used has malachite green in it but no medicine I seen was just that or copper based. The water is set to 82°F.

8. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

I've never dealt with velvet, but it looks like a the pictures of velvet. Every scale has a section of shiny gold
    Also, malachite green is a medication in of itself, made by the same people who do Methylene blue. It you have access to amazon.com I know it's there.
    Edit: it's made by Kordon if that helps at all. Good luck!

9. OP
    OP
    spike98

Do you think the medicine will make it on time? I'll look into it and order as soon as I can I have prime and hope I can get it next day.

He's a picture of both with my flash on. The red one is still lightly breathing.

Attached Files:

10. Gypsy13

Definitely add the aquarium salt. Add slowly. Take a few minutes to add it. If you have to, use the ich med you have but mix it in water following the directions and then use a cotton ball soaked with the diluted med to dab him.

Is the other one eating?

11. OP
    OP
    spike98

The blue one does eat but the red doesn't appear to be interested it have the strength to. He's so weak he'll let me pick him up to the surface so I'll see if that allows me to dab him and maybe feed him but he did just eat 2 days ago so he won't be starving just alittle hungry.

Also currently waiting for the API test results

From my interpretation ammonia is 0, nitrites is 0 and nitrates possibly 0 I have a few plants but I don't know if I would call it heavily planted. pH is maybe 6.0 or 6.4

Attached Files:

12. Gypsy13

Good job! Even hubby could read those. Ok. Do you have the aquarium salt? Plain sea salt it’s no additives will work as well. It will help in healing and preserve his slime coat.

Eating isn’t as important as making him feel better. Poor little guy.

13. OP
    OP
    spike98

I have aquarium salt I would add only 4 pieces every day though as I'm not sure on if I'm using it properly. As the meds would I dilute it in water to dab him and then add the medicine to the water undiluted or use the diluted water. Also for extra information I have been treating with the kordon medicine for 2 days.

Good news after picking him up to the surface he is moving alittle but not as much as I would like but better than none.

I used a q-tip to apply the medicine to him. Then I used 3 drops instead of 5 ( currently its half filled to him reach the surface) incase it was the medicine making him weak. Also added a light amount of aquarium salt. I covered his tank for now as I think I should let him rest instead of stressing him right now

Did a quick check up his breathing seems slightly faster.

Another update just ordered a 3 pack of malachite green so I could pay for 1 day shipping. Hope he holds out till then.

14. Rtessy

Did you dissolve the salt before adding it? Was his breathing unusually slower before?

15. OP
    OP
    spike98

No I didn't is that really bad? Didnt think you would have to dissolve 3 piece of salt before adding. Before when he was breathing it would be very light almost unnoticeable now it was alittle wider and you could see it better.

16. Rtessy

It's much better to dissolve salt in dechlorinated water then slowly add that in because otherwise the fish can suffer salt burns. Do you know the measurements for aquarium salt? I don't know what size your tank is, but it's generally 1 tbsp per 5 gallons, but you should start by dissolving 1 tsp in a separate cup of tank water then very slowly, taking at least a minute or two, pour it in.
    Side note, have you removed any carbon from the filter? If not, we can help you out with that, it's not as easy and throwing away the cartridge.

17. OP
    OP
    spike98

No there's no carbon present in the tank and the levels are reduced so the tank is at 5 gallons so I don't believe I added to much salt but from now on I'll dissolve it in a bag of tank or dechorinated water and slowly add it.

18. Gypsy13

Yeah. Like I said earlier, take a few minutes to add the dissolved salt to the water. When you do a water change, just dose the new water. And either swab the diluted ich med on him or add to the water, not both. I don’t know what other meds they have in that ich cure. Don’t want to hurt his kidneys. And only do the salt for five to seven days. Five is better than seven with bettas. I’m glad his breathing picked up. Keep updating. :)

19. OP
    OP
    spike98

Sorry didn't see the dilute part, now I feel bad. I order the malachite green and it should be here tomorrow. I plan to do a small water change and add new water to help remove the old medicine then I'll switch to the malachite green and some light salt.

20. Gypsy13

Sounds great. I don’t have the luxury of laying down currently so I’ll be checking in often. Others like rtessy will as well. Anything comes up, jump in. We’re all here to help.