Sick Betta :-(

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Cronus, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Cronus

Cronus New Member Member

Hi there,

I've had my betta for a couple of months now, and she seemed to be thriving. Recently, I upgraded the tank from a 3 gallon to a 15 gallon, and moved her over. She seemed fine for several days, but lately has become very lethargic. About 3 days ago, I thought she might have passed away, as she was just laying at the bottom, but she seems to be moving about from time to time. I moved her back into her old tank, and she seems a bit more active today, but overall still quite lethargic. I believe her body color has changed a bit, lightened up. Here are some pictures, I know they' not the greatest but the curvature of the tank made them slightly distorted. Is there anything visibly wrong with her? Any suggestions? I tested the water of the new tank and old tank, and all of the parameters seemed fine. I took the water to petco and they tested it and confirmed the water parameters looked fine. Any help would be appreciated! If there is something I can do to fix her up, I'd love to do so.

IMG_9062.jpg IMG_9063.jpg IMG_9064.jpg IMG_9070.jpg IMG_9072.jpg

2. BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302 Well Known Member Member

It's quite possible your betta was a bit stressed because it was just moved from its home into another tank. I'd move your betta back to the 15 gallon and just give it some time. Maybe add some decor from the tank it was moved out of. Your betta will soon thrive because the bigger the tank the better.

3. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Hi there. Can you please state he exact parameters? And what's your temperature at? Did you acclimate her to the new tank? Was there a difference in the parameters between them? It does seem to happen that when fish are upgraded, they do often get sick from the stress. It sucks, but it's rather common unfortunately

4. AJ34

AJ34 Valued Member Member

Was your betta a baby when you got it or is it on the younger side? I know most people advocate large tanks for a betta and I think that is great. However with one of my babies I tried to moved him to a 5.5 and he turned into another fish... lethargic and stressed for weeks so I moved him to his original small tank until he got a little bigger and now he is in a 3.5 gallon seems like a good middle ground. He seems better now! I have bettas in bigger tanks as well that are thriving but that particular fish however was stressed. Another thing to do is add more cover in terms of plants and decors (just make sure it’s betta safe)When I moved my guy in the 3.5 I tried to fill it up so he had more hiding places for security.

5. AJ34

Oh also my tank was cycled so it wasn’t water parameters.

6. OP
    OP
    Cronus

Cronus New Member Member

Hi everyone - thanks for all the responses. The water parameters did appear to be the same (based on the test strips), and the temperature was within .5 degree of each other. I had transitioned her from a 3 gallon to a 15 gallon column (with about 6 live plants). I mentioned earlier that I had transferred her back to the 3 gallon, and she's still there and appears to be doing very well! She's been quite active lately and her color looks pretty good!

Maybe it was like BettaFishKeeper4302 said, and it had something to do with a new environment. Either way, I'm glad she's looking better now. I guess I am slightly concerned with my 15 gallon column tank. It looks really cool, in particular with all of the live plants, but I saw in some other places that they might have issues with too much current. Does anyone have any recommendations on a filter for that sort of tank that would do a good enough job without causing too much current? The tank I have (which was a kid and included the filter) is this one: https://www.amazon.com/ValuePetSupp...d=1529447026&sr=8-1&keywords=15+gallon+column

Any recommendations would be awesome!

Thanks again for all your help!

7. OP
    OP
    Cronus

Cronus New Member Member

8. AJ34

Maybe the tall tank was just a lot of swimming to the top to get air? I have a 15 tall but with a king betta so he is big but I don’t know how one of my small guys would do in that set up. I use an aqeon E internal 10 gallon on that tank but I do have a sponge filter in a smaller tank the 3.5 I mentioned and it seems to be doing a great job!

9. AJ34

That tank is really tall, like almost 25 inches from what I see online. I do like the look of it and the ability to save space. However, I think that might be a really long way for a betta to swim up to get air? I have a 15 gallon high aquarium and that is about 18 inches high but I don't fill it all the way for a few reasons. Does anyone else have experience keeping bettas in a really tall tank? Is there a maximum height for a betta? I'm curious myself....that coupled with a strong filter could make it a challenge to get to the top depending on the size of the fish.

10. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

It's not like they'll drown or anything, there's someone on here with an amazing betta tank, I think 14 females and 2 males, in a 75 gallon. They'll live in just about every normal aquarium

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice