Sick Betta?

1. Niigaanii L

Niigaanii L Valued Member Member

My betta has been mostly hanging out at the bottom of the tank as of late, occasionally coming up and swimming around as per usual (he was very active when I first got him)
    He does get really excited when I come near the tank and swims around in front of me until I leave, but when I do leave he goes back to hiding or sitting at the bottom.
    Recently I've also noticed his scales changing color below and around his head (turning white)
    AND NOW some of his scales are turning kinda orangish? I've only noticed one or two spots. What can I do? I'm pretty knew to fish keeping in general. But I know something isn't right here.

Attached Files:

2. sleow

sleow Valued Member Member

How long have you had him and how recently did his behavior change? To me, most of this sounds like normal betta behavior. I have a sorority of 7 females and when I look at their tank from across the room I can see may one or two swimming around but the minute I walk up to the tank or even just walk past it, they all come out to say hi. Bettas a notorious hiders, so the fact that yours is hiding means he's comfortable. As long as his swimming doesn't seem affected, I wouldn't be too worried.

As for coloration, most bettas these days change color as they age, especially right after you get them. When I bought one of my bettas, I thought she was a super light, almost white pink but now she is a bright pink, almost red. As long as his scales don't look slimy or fluffy and you don't see any abnormal growth, he is probably just changing colors on you.

It may just be the angle/lighting of the picture, but he does look a bit bloated. I'm not sure what your feeding regimen is, but maybe consider fasting him for a couple days to see if his bloating goes down. One of my bettas had that same white coloration on her face and stomach and after a couple days of fasting, she got real skinny and went back to a normal color.

3. OP
    OP
    Niigaanii L

Thank you, I was just worried about that reddish orange spot on his side for the most part, I noticed little bits around his face and didn't think much of it until now. But thank you! I was mainly concerned becuase my tank was in the process of cycling (and still is) when he had to go in.
    Basically, I was making so many trips to my local pet store and spending so much money that they gave me a betta as a gift though super thoughtful and greatly appreciated I'm not sure they realized I didn't have a fully operational tank for this guy- but nonetheless thank you! Ive been real worried about him prorheessiely over these past few days and this really helped lol

4. sleow

sleow Valued Member Member

Wow that's a beautiful betta to get as a gift from a fish shop! I forgot to mention how stunning he is in my previous post :happy: Hopefully it helps put you at ease a bit. Like I said, just keep an eye on the changing color spot to see if it changes texture, as that is a big sign that he is sick.

Also, as I'm sure you know, keep up with your water changes since your tank is still cycling. Bettas are usually pretty hardy, but if they are sick or injured, bad water quality makes them go downhill quick. Good luck! Sounds like you're going to be a great betta parent, since you're already worried about him ;)

5. OP
    OP
    Niigaanii L

Again thank you so much :)

From both me and my little buddy here lol