Sick Betta

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have a few Betta fish that have been acting lethargic, they either lay at the bottom of the tank or float at the top corners. They still eat if fed. Tried medicated fish food with oxtetracycline for two weeks no improvement. Tried daily water changes no improvement. Moved one to a 10g from a three gallon and one into a 5 gallon, still no improvement. Tried just wcs for a month still no improvement. Then tried a trifecta of em erythomicin, ick x and general cure for a week and no improvement. What could be wrong with them this happen in January after I was in a conference for 4 days , they were fine when I left. Poor Poncho and Julian

Both tanks are heated between 76-78 degrees and both have a sponge filter which is cleaned weekly. Both tanks are planted and have pothos hanging from the rear.

Any input is appreciated

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Did he have ich? Or did you just treat him for no reason. Medicine for ich that is actually worth your money is very harmful for the fish, but at the perfect dose can kill the parasite, so if you treated him for something he doesn't have that's probably why. If he just got off ich and is better then he is probably recovering.
If he didn't have ich stick some carbon in the filter to get rid of the medicine

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Keep doing a few more really good WC's. And MAYBE you may need to use some carbon as well.

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Perameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite , and 0 nitrate.
emmysjj said:
What are your parameters?

I treated him with half a dose in qt for fungus a month ago, now he is in his tank which had no meds. Just clean water. I have always used ich x as a triage for suspected fungus , never had any issues so far.

OneLittleBubble said:
Did he have ich? Or did you just treat him for no reason. Medicine for ich that is actually worth your money is very harmful for the fish, but at the perfect dose can kill the parasite, so if you treated him for something he doesn't have that's probably why. If he just got off ich and is better then he is probably recovering.
If he didn't have ich stick some carbon in the filter to get rid of the medicine

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Did you give the fish all those medications just because they were "lethargic"? That would be problematic and counterproductive, as you have not diagnosed any illness and any chemical additive will cause stress, especially hardcore meds that are indicated for diseases your fish don't have. Refrain from medicating unless you know what it is you are treating.

76 degrees is not warm enough. Raise the temp to at least 80, and keep up on water changes. If you have no nitrate you are probably not cycled so keep an eye on parameters. Once a week is a bit much for filter cleaning, you don't want to wipe out your bacteria. Erythromycin kills good bacteria, so dosing they probably crashed your cycle and you'll need to build it back up, so let the filters go as long as you can.

Do they poop? If so what does it look like?

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MissRuthless said:
Did you give the fish all those medications just because they were "lethargic"? That would be problematic and counterproductive, as you have not diagnosed any illness and any chemical additive will cause stress, especially hardcore meds that are indicated for diseases your fish don't have. Refrain from medicating unless you know what it is you are treating.

76 degrees is not warm enough. Raise the temp to at least 80, and keep up on water changes. If you have no nitrate you are probably not cycled so keep an eye on parameters. Once a week is a bit much for filter cleaning, you don't want to wipe out your bacteria. Erythromycin kills good bacteria, so dosing they probably crashed your cycle and you'll need to build it back up, so let the filters go as long as you can.

Do they poop? If so what does it look like?
No lol they have been acting lethargic more and more lately. Before they were very lively alively and there colors vivid, after treating them for mouth rot they seem to slowly be getting worse, they looked like there lip was missing should have clarified that.

As far as I can tell there poop looks normal to me it's the same brown color I have always seen with them.

I will raise temp and keep up with the water changes see if there is any jmorovement.

From what I have seen in my other plants tanks, Unless over stocked it never registers nitrates. I believe it is due to the plants utilizing the nitrogenous material.

When I clean the filter , I just take the sponge off and squeeze it in some tank water, don't sanitize it or anything like that.

Thank you guys and gals so far for the advice I appreciate it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom