Sick Betta :-(

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by nicoless, Apr 23, 2018.

1. nicolessValued MemberMember

I've been treating my betta for internal parasites with General Cure this week, but she seems to be getting worse. She's due for the 2nd half of her 2nd dose of General Cure tomorrow. Do the meds make them lethargic? Her activity has plummeted in the past few days.

She is spending a lot of her time at the bottom of the tank, sometimes breathing heavily, not very responsive. She is having her first normal-ish looking poop for a long time though, so I guess that's a good sign?

Thank you :-/

Attached Files:

2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

Why do you think it's parasites. One of the biggest problems i see is that she is constipated. Begin giving her deshelled peas to help with the constipation.

3. OP
    OP
    n

nicolessValued MemberMember

I think it's parasites because she's been having long, stringy, white poop, her energy is low, and she's losing weight.

Thank you-- I do give her pea halves from time to time, and she's always eager to eat them. I'll give her one today.

4. lilabug4545

lilabug4545Well Known MemberMember

I would try holding off on food for a bit. How long are the lights on? Lethargy can also be a too-long light cycle.

5. OP
    OP
    n

Wow, thank you, I did not know that about the lights. They've been on for a good 10-12 hours every day. :-/
    How long is recommended?

I'll keep the light off today, to let her rest.

Would you recommend giving her a pea, or no food at all?

6. lilabug4545

lilabug4545Well Known MemberMember

I recommend 8 hours of light a day. Lethargy may be caused by a disease, but I'd hate for her to be stressed out by meds shen she's just possibly tired. I would give her about 1/4-1/8 of a pea, and then fast her for about three days.

7. OP
    OP
    n

Will do-- thank you so much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice