Sick Betta Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by BT betta, Apr 10, 2018.

1. B

BT betta New Member Member

1BAAB970-D6C3-4D6B-9E03-9C849D202854.jpeg F98592B9-4B33-4344-A426-A33105D1C7E0.jpeg 41BEA69D-B495-4A39-91D2-BC3A53710A6E.jpeg 697BD0DB-BEDC-45B4-942A-8907C7B86B09.jpeg
    First big greeting for all, I'm new to this forum. I have this Betta for 5 days now.

It looks latargic and he is active from time to time.
    Can somebody help me with the age of this betta and what illness and problems it have?
    Thank you

2. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

He is very thin and seems to have some fin rot going on. Does he eat alright? About how much have you been feeding him a day? What is the tank size, temperature, and is the tank cycled (Nitrogen Cycle)?

The tank looks pretty large but I see nothing for him to rest on near the surface. Long finned males, really any betta, should have something close to the surface for them to rest on. Be it fake plants, live plants, whatever. He doesn't look all that old, most bettas in stores are a year old or less. His back isn't hunched and his pelvic fins don't look very long, so that makes be think he just an emaciated young adult.

The fin rot should hopefully clear up with clean warm water, if it gets worse you should think about treating him.

3. Wystearya

Wystearya Valued Member Member

Yes, he looks thin to me. If you can let us know what you feed (brand name and pellets or flakes) and how much per day it would help.

I also agree with everything Demeter has posted.

4. OP
    OP
    B

Thank you for quick answer.
    It’s a 6.6 gal tank it has some plastic plants and stones.Temp is 25.5 degrees Celsius,I did one week cycling with some water conditioning chemical.I must say I did not tested the water before putting it in aquarium and I am new in all this stuff,willing to correct mistakes.But the fact is that I bought him in this condition,I fill like I saved him from pet store he was alone in small aquarium I hope I will save him.
    I dont feed him much because seller told me I can easily over feed him and couse problems.So he told to use just a small few granules of food per day.
    Sorry for bad english. image.jpg 7DF34936-1649-415F-84A8-92A651ED9E27.jpeg 8C82EBE0-EDF7-4BB5-8174-6759B84C83C1.jpeg

5. Wystearya

How long have you had him then? He may get better in time with proper care.

Your tank is a good size.

Is there a filter in the tank? I think I may see one in the corner, just trying to be sure.

I assume the water conditioner is a dechlorinator? (Removes chlorine from tap water.)

6. OP
    OP
    B

image.jpg 58A58616-6BFD-4017-8369-EDB40A1B4460.jpeg Yes,there is a filter in the corner,I have had him for 5 days now,
    I put I t in an aquarium that I bought a week before buying a betta fish,but he lived in such a poor condition that I put it right away in my aquarium.
    The chemical is for conditioning tap water for aquarium use.

Do I feed him enough?I sent pic in last reply how much I give him daily.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2018
  7. Wystearya

Ok good!

It will take him time to heal, longer than 5 days. It seems like your doing well for now.

I would go ahead and feed him 2 times a day. He is thin and needs to gain weight. The amount you showed looks like a good size for each meal. So, feed that 2 times a day. Maybe in the morning and in the evening.
    ------------------------

Have you changed any of the water? Usually it is recommended to change about half of the water weekly. You use a siphon to take out the water. And you also use the water conditioner for the water you put back in the tank.

Water changes help keep the water safe for your fish. Keep it clean and fresh.

You do not need to take your fish out of the tank for the water change. He can be left in there. Just try to match the temperature of the water in the tank so it's not too cold or too hot.

8. OP
    OP
    B

Thank you very much for advice.
    Is temperature of 77 Fahrenheit ok?
    And I heard of some universal cure SERA OMNIPUR ,do you think I can use this for fin rot?
    Thank you

9. Wystearya

I have no idea about the medicine, sorry! (Maybe someone else here will know.)

I think 77 is fine. Some people think 80 is better, but my tank is at 78 and my fish does very well with that temperature.

10. OP
    OP
    B

“Fin rot is a common symptom of a bacterial disease that can affect a variety of fish, from Betta fish to goldfish. ... The fin rot may also cause your fish to become discolored and lethargic.”
    So maybe someone has some experience with this product? E36AD94E-369D-4E88-9744-5D5192B9B3D5.jpeg

F96349CB-6A6C-4CC0-B0D2-8092A5E846D0.jpeg There is also this product?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2018
  11. Wystearya

I just mean I have no experience with that medicine.
    I would NOT use it though.

Just try keeping the water and tank clean. Clean water is the first recommended treatment for fin rot. I do think your fish will get better, but it took him a long time to get sick, and it will take him a few weeks or more probably to get heal.

12. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not great with medicine either, but you have to really research stuff because betta's have labyrinth organs which make certain medications, such as Melafix, Pimafix and even Bettafix lethal to them. Also, if you only added water conditioner, the tank is not cycled. If you added a start up chemical with bacteria but didn't feed it ammonia, the tank is not cycled. You will have to do daily water changes for quite a while if this is the case. Don't forget to dechlorinate the new water and make sure it is the same temperature. If you're not cycled, do a 50% change today, 50% tomorrow, 30% the following day, 25%, then 10-25% for the following month or more. If you believe your tank to be fully cycled, if you fed bottled bacteria, it's still a good idea to do. 50% and then smaller daily water changes, helps them recover

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice