Sick Betta

gracehowardsmith

I got a Betta from the pet store about 3 weeks ago. I wasn’t planning on getting him but he was sick so I brought him home . Originally I thought it was swim bladder disease so I fasted him gave him a pea and fasted him again after that didn’t work I gave him a salt bath and I’ve been repeating the cycle since. He’s still bloated but when I got him he was alway in his side at the bottom of his tank and now he’s resting at the top with his nose out of the water. Sometimes he still lays at the bottom of his tank as well. My issue is that he doesn’t seem to be getting better. He’s currently in a .5 gallon tank because I’m worried if he’s in the bigger tank that’s meant for him he won’t be able to get to the top also its a divided tank so if it’s something contagious I don’t want the fish in the other side to get sick. Does anyone have a suggestion of what else could be wrong with him or anything else I can try to help him?

Reeferxbetta

So you have two bettas in a divided tank and each get half a gallon? Bettas need a minimum of 2.5, but do much better in 5-10 gallons, your best bet is to have a tank around that size and fill it up half way, so he's able to easily swim to the surface. Keeping 2 fish in a 1 gallon tank is really not a good idea, keeping 1 fish in a one gallon tank is bad. Is the tank cycled, heated, etc? If not, he's probably lethargic and not doing well because of the environment he's living in.

gracehowardsmith

So you have two bettas in a divided tank and each get half a gallon? Bettas need a minimum of 2.5, but do much better in 5-10 gallons, your best bet is to have a tank around that size and fill it up half way, so he's able to easily swim to the surface. Keeping 2 fish in a 1 gallon tank is really not a good idea, keeping 1 fish in a one gallon tank is bad. Is the tank cycled, heated, etc? If not, he's probably lethargic and not doing well because of the environment he's living in.

No the divided tank is 5 gallons but he’s in a 1/2 gallon right now in case whatever he has is contagious. He was already sick he didn’t get sick in my care when I got him the problem is that he isn’t healing. His water condions are fine I do water changes every every 2nd day and his water is at 77 .

Zypher023

It sounds like he’s in a .5 gallon now, as you don’t want to move him to the larger, divided tank since that would put the current betta living there at risk. Is that correct?

Does he have any other symptoms? Flashing, rubbing on decorations? Is he eating, if so what is he getting? Does he have normal looking poop or is it white and stringy?

I had a similar situation about 6-7 weeks ago. Rescued a beautiful veiltail that I’m pretty convinced would’ve died there. I tried a pea and it didn’t work either. I tried a variety of medications starting with Kanaplex and PraziPro, while treating the water daily with Prime and keeping it heated at 78F. I don’t necessarily think you should dose medication yet since that would depend on his symptoms. Hopefully with that info we can help you further.

gracehowardsmith

It sounds like he’s in a .5 gallon now, as you don’t want to move him to the larger, divided tank since that would put the current betta living there at risk. Is that correct?

Does he have any other symptoms? Flashing, rubbing on decorations? Is he eating, if so what is he getting? Does he have normal looking poop or is it white and stringy?

I had a similar situation about 6-7 weeks ago. Rescued a beautiful veiltail that I’m pretty convinced would’ve died there. I tried a pea and it didn’t work either. I tried a variety of medications starting with Kanaplex and PraziPro, while treating the water daily with Prime and keeping it heated at 78F. I don’t necessarily think you should dose medication yet since that would depend on his symptoms. Hopefully with that info we can help you further.

Yes he’s in a .5 gallon so he doesn’t infect other Betta, he flares sometimes, no rubbing on anything, at least while I’m looking at him. His poop is normal but there isn’t much of it when I clean his tank. He’s sometimes interested in eating but a lot of the time the food is left uneaten so I have to take it out. I’ve tried Aqueon Betta pellets and essentials Betta pellets.

Zypher023

Yes he’s in a .5 gallon so he doesn’t infect other Betta, he flares sometimes, no rubbing on anything, at least while I’m looking at him. His poop is normal but there isn’t much of it when I clean his tank. He’s sometimes interested in eating but a lot of the time the food is left uneaten so I have to take it out. I’ve tried Aqueon Betta pellets and essentials Betta pellets.

I’m sure others will have suggestions on treatments, as it doesn’t sound like anything obvious is going on. Typically with internal parasites there’s white stringy poop. I’ve heard bloating can be caused by bacterial infections, which is why I ultimately treated with Kanaplex. Kanaplex will kill any beneficial bacteria in the tank, and carbon will remove it, so you have to be careful and remove filter media before treating. I wouldn’t rush out to buy it, but just a thought on something to try if you don’t get other feedback. It is a very safe medication from my understanding. When that didn’t fully correct the issue, and I noticed stringy poops, I tried PraziPro. He seems to be doing quite well finally.

Since he is having a bloating issue, it would be best to presoak the pellets in tank water before feeding. However since they do expand, it could also help him to eat something that won’t, like frozen brine shrimp. I just now have started feeding my rescue pellets again. He was getting brine shrimp or freeze dried blood worms (which I also presoaked).

I also have had good luck dosing the tank with Vitachem and also soaking their food in that or pure garlic juice. Both should help boost his immune system and provide him with nutrients he may otherwise be lacking.

What are the parameters of the tank he’s in? Is there a heater that would allow you to make the tank closer to 80? Is there a filter or air stone?

gracehowardsmith

I’m sure others will have suggestions on treatments, as it doesn’t sound like anything obvious is going on. Typically with internal parasites there’s white stringy poop. I’ve heard bloating can be caused by bacterial infections, which is why I ultimately treated with Kanaplex. Kanaplex will kill any beneficial bacteria in the tank, and carbon will remove it, so you have to be careful and remove filter media before treating. I wouldn’t rush out to buy it, but just a thought on something to try if you don’t get other feedback. It is a very safe medication from my understanding. When that didn’t fully correct the issue, and I noticed stringy poops, I tried PraziPro. He seems to be doing quite well finally.

Since he is having a bloating issue, it would be best to presoak the pellets in tank water before feeding. However since they do expand, it could also help him to eat something that won’t, like frozen brine shrimp. I just now have started feeding my rescue pellets again. He was getting brine shrimp or freeze dried blood worms (which I also presoaked).

I also have had good luck dosing the tank with Vitachem and also soaking their food in that or pure garlic juice. Both should help boost his immune system and provide him with nutrients he may otherwise be lacking.

What are the parameters of the tank he’s in? Is there a heater that would allow you to make the tank closer to 80? Is there a filter or air stone?

Thanks for the advice there’s an air stone in the tank since it’s too small for a filter he had a heater but it stopped working so I’m waiting to get payed before I get a new one ( I’ll have it in the next week), his Ammonia is between 0 and 0.25 (working to get that down) nitrites are at 0 and his nitrates are between 0 and 5

Zypher023

Thanks for the advice there’s an air stone in the tank since it’s too small for a filter he had a heater but it stopped working so I’m waiting to get payed before I get a new one ( I’ll have it in the next week), his Ammonia is between 0 and 0.25 (working to get that down) nitrites are at 0 and his nitrates are between 0 and 5

Sounds good on the heater. I know the Tetra 50W Preset ones have been as cheap as $8 on Amazon.

If there’s no ammonia in your tap water, you could also try 50-75% water changes daily and/or upgrade to a new larger Tupperware of some sort. I bought a 2 pack of large 1 gallon plastic salad bowls for emergency or hospital tanks that were only about $4 total. I had him in one for a couple weeks while treating him initially, and kept the lid over the top with it slid to the side for the air stone tubing and heater cord. Just make sure if you go that route that it’s food safe, and has never been used for food. And rinse it well under hot water before using.

It also might help him recover faster if you dose Prime daily while there’s ammonia present (if you aren’t already). This will lower the toxicity and therefor his stress level.

Hope that helps a bit! It’s a tough situation to be in but I’m glad you’re taking the time and helping him!

Reeferxbetta

While 3 weeks is a while for him to remain sick, it's not super unusual. If it's an issue with the swimbladder, it will probably take a while to fix and will be recurring. I did the same thing, I've taken multiple dying bettas from petco, and I had one who took months to recover from issues with his swimbladder. The first thing I would do is switch foods, aqueon food is junk for the most part, I'd recommend NLS or omega one. You should only feed about 3-4 pellets a day and soak them before feeding. How many times have you tried fasting and the pea? Sometimes daphnia can also be more helpful than a pea.

gracehowardsmith

While 3 weeks is a while for him to remain sick, it's not super unusual. If it's an issue with the swimbladder, it will probably take a while to fix and will be recurring. I did the same thing, I've taken multiple dying bettas from petco, and I had one who took months to recover from issues with his swimbladder. The first thing I would do is switch foods, aqueon food is junk for the most part, I'd recommend NLS or omega one. You should only feed about 3-4 pellets a day and soak them before feeding. How many times have you tried fasting and the pea? Sometimes daphnia can also be more helpful than a pea.
I’ve tried the pea 5 times now with no luck. I’m starting to get worried about it being dropsy but I’ve heard they don’t live more than 2 weeks with Dropsy so I’m not sure.

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom