Sick Betta

1. Karlburto

Karlburto New Member Member

4 days ago i noticed my betta acting strange, he didn't seem as active as he usually is and he was ignoring me which is highly unusual. Seemingly over night he developed a thick white fluffy cluster on the end of his tail fin, he also appeared to be very bloated. I treated him for 3 days using Esha 2000 and 4tsp of aquarium salt with 20-30% daily water changes. I also removed the gravel as i've been having issues with cleaning it anyway and saw this as an opportunity to get rid, i have used sand from my 15 gallon aquarium rather than using new sand so not to disturb the bacteria balance too much.
    Right now my betta is acting very lethargic, He is no longer bloated and does not have the growth on his fins now, however i have noticed when he comes up to catch some air he is franticly flicking through the water and brushing up against the heater. He only eats his 2 pellets in the morning, he doesnt come up for food after that as i usually do this 3 times a day.
    Is this just him recovering from whatever illness he had or is he still very sick? Does anyone know what this could be and how to treat it?
    It's quite upsetting to see him in such a way.
    Im attaching pictures of his before and after treatment just incase someone can diagnose if he has anything and what i can do.
    These pictures are over the course of 4 days. The pictures do not show him on the first day when he was bloated.

Attached Files:

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Poor guy, can you confirm this, but it seems that he has white spots on his body (Looks like salt or sand). Is that from the glass/debris, or are they actually on him?I also noticed larger patches missing; are those missing scales or white patches that look like they're "on top" of the scales/body

What are the parameters of the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    Karlburto

He has had the white spots on the side of his face for the past 3-4 months now. I'm not entirely sure what it is but they've never affected him or got worse.
    He isn't missing any scales, i had just done a water change before a took some of the pictures so the glass on 1 of them looks a bit dirty from where the water dripped.
    I've noticed that when he rests he tends to lean onto his side. Not sure if this is normal though because i never usually see him laying at the bottom of the tank for so long.

4. O

OscarOwner88 New Member Member

Okay, So I have had a betta for a little bit to and he tends to lay at the bottom of his tank to so I think that is normal. But I think one of the reasons he isn't that active is because he is eating to much. I feed my betta about 2 times a day with just one pellet each time. So I think that maybe if you were to feed him 2 pellets 2x a day then maybe he should start moving more and acting more like a betta. I hope this helps

5. KinsKicks

6. OP
    OP
    Karlburto

Sorry i forgot about the parameters, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10-20 nitrates, PH is 6.8 at the moment and i keep his tank temp at 26c/78f.
    I will consider lowering his food portions but he's been on 6 pellets for the 8 months i've had him and he's never had any issues health-wise. I fast him once a week. This illness came over him all of a sudden, there was no gradual decline in health.

7. UniqueShark

UniqueShark Well Known Member Member

Do water changes once a week next time.

8. OP
    OP
    Karlburto

He gets water changes every 5-7 days under normal circumstances.

9. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

What I'm seeing in the pictures is bad, unfortunately.

Best case scenario is aggressive fin rot.
    Worst case scenario is bacteria, and I'm leaning bacteria.

If he is lethargic, that is already a bad sign. Your water seems not too terrible and wouldn't cause this so quickly. Because of that, water changes alone won't help your poor guy.

You will need to medicate.

10. OP
    OP
    Karlburto

His fins have cleared up as can be seen in the pictures. The before pictures are him with the fin issues, the after pictures are the ones where his fins are completely free of it, he's just inactive now. Can you recommend any medicine? I've done 3 days on Esha 2000 as stated in the original post. Is it safe to move onto another medicine this soon?

Attached Files:

11. KinsKicks

Hmmm...for now, do another water change, about 50% and treat with Metroplex; if you can't get it General Cure will suffice (as it is more commonly available. If you do go with GC, take a half a dosage and mix it with some dechloro water and soak a pellet or 2 into it, if he's willing to eat in addition to treating the entire tank...you can also do this if you get the Metroplex). The white spots are worrisome as they look to be a scarring from something that broke them or the indication that something is still there; which may be from Hexamita; it would be best to clear it up if there is an issue or there are any parasites left.

He may be having a reaction to the Esha 2000, in which I say hold back on the treatment for now; its safe and pretty gentle, but bettas with their labrynth organs are a bit more picky with meds. Anyhow, if his fins have cleared up, there is no reason to continue the treatment; clean water will be fine.

Edit: Don't forget to remove the Carbon as well

12. OP
    OP
    Karlburto

Thank you for your help, it's greatly appreciated!