Sick Betta Help

1. destiales Initiate Member

I've owned two previous bettas in my life. I kept those in the crappy conditions that most people do: in a small, unfiltered, unheated bowl. The second one lived a long, but probably sad, 3 years. This third time around I decided to go all out and get the necessities. A 3 gallon tank, filter, heater, thermometer, gravel, decoration, a second better filter with all new media that I don't quite understand yet. He's living the life compared to my past fish.

I noticed he was losing some of his fins so I bought him bettafix, and put him in a bowl about a quart big for a week. Today I moved him back to his home tank and noticed his fins turning white! I don't understand how his condition got worse, especially considering I've kept him in better housing than my last ones who never got sick (to my knowledge).

I'm beginning to take interest in aquariums but I can't move past this if I can't even keep a single betta healthy.

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Hello and welcome!

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? What kind of filter and media do you have? What kind of dechlorinator? What is your water change schedule like? Do you have a test kit and can you post your water parameters?

3. destiales Initiate Member

I do not know about the nitrogen cycle, but started reading about it on this site. My filter is an AZOO Mignon 60, with a sponge and ceramic cylinders made by Aquaclear. I use Aqueon BettaBowl Plus conditioner. I do not have a kit so I don't know the parameters.

4. destiales Initiate Member

Oh and I'm trying to get better about my water change cycle and trying to get it to once a week, but sometimes it stretches on two if I'm busy or, let's be honest, lazy.

5. AllieSten Well Known Member Member

Hi there. The number one thing you can do for your betta is have a cycled tank. This has only a little to do with water changes. It is a process where good bacteria is grown in/on your filter media (pads inside your filter) and it keeps your tank toxins down. It is important for fish health to have a cycled tank. You will also need to be able to test your tank. What I recommend is getting Tetra 6 in 1 strips. This will at least give you most of what you need. It doesn't have an ammonia tester, so I do recommend at least getting that.

The easiest way for you to cycle your tank is by using Tetra Safe Start plus. You literally pour it into your tank and leave it be for 14 days. No water changes and no testing. On day 14 you will need to test your water parameters and expect to do a large water change.

Once your tank is cycled, then you will need to do 1-2 water changes per week. You can either do 2-30% water changes or one 50-60% water changes per week. Depending on how high your nitrates get.

Please do some looking around the forum for the stickies on a fish in cycle and how the nitrogen cycle works.

6. destiales Initiate Member

I just wanted to give an update. I haven't been able to get out to the store to cycle my tank yet but here's what Fisha (his name, clever I know) looks like at the moment. The white on his top fin and two patches on the bottom fins. I think I'm starting to see the blue slowly come back at the top. I'm thinking it had to do with the water quality in his quarantine tank. Ever since I moved him back in his home tank I don't think it's gotten any worse.

7. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

You don't really need to buy anything to cycle his tank though there are products that can help. The bacteria you need are present everywhere and will colonize your filter given the right conditions. Buying a water conditioner like Prime is a good idea to protect your fish but other than that you don't need anything else from the store.

8. AllieSten Well Known Member Member

I think he looks pretty good. The water changes have helped.

You just need to encourage the bacteria to grow at this point. Keeping your Ammonia down to protect the fish. You can cycle your tank without anything, it just takes longer.