Sick Betta Help

1. Princethepurplebetta Member Member

Hi guys! I adopted a betta from my local fish store (they wanted to flush him since hes sick). Im not sure which medication would be the best for him. He is in a 5g heated tank. He can only swim sideways and he swims half out of the water half in (still sideways).
    ~
    This is how he swims/rests
    20170709_211739.jpg

2. Shadow2331 Member Member

Does he always stays at the top of the tank ?

3. Princethepurplebetta Member Member

Yes, he tries to swim towards the middle and then floats right back up to the top

4. Shadow2331 Member Member

Does he look like he is swimming uncontrollably at the surface ?? does he seem to have a Swollen, enlarged stomach??

5. Princethepurplebetta Member Member

He can swim in whatever direction he wants, but can only swim sideways at the top. His belly looks normal but the end of his body before his tail has like a lump?

6. Shadow2331 Member Member

I think its a swim bladder disorder

There are many causes of this disorder like constipation, overfeeding , Injury, Bacterial Infection, Birth defects

As there are many possible causes for SBD, there are also many possible treatments. It is important to determine the cause of the disease so that an appropriate treatment can be chosen.
    Below are some tips for distinguishing each cause, and treating accordingly.
    • Constipation
      • Distinguished by a lack of defecation, swollen stomach, and likely normal coloring
    • Overfeeding
      • Distinguished by a bloated/swollen stomach following a meal, normal coloration, relatively normal behavior
      • TREATMENT: fast the fish for a couple days until the large meal passes/bloated stomach and behavior return to normal
    • Bacterial Infection
      • Distinguished by other signs of ill health, such as faded color, refusal to eat, lethargy, septicemia
    • Birth defects
      • Distinguished by chronic swim bladder issues
      • To be considered as a cause only when all others are ruled out
      • TREATMENT: None necessary. Maintain a low water level if the fish sinks to the bottom as they must be able to reach the surface easily to breathe.

7. Princethepurplebetta Member Member

Ok thanks. I think it maybe a birth defect or a bacterial infection, most likely infection since the cup he was in had brown murky water that smelled like rotten fish.

8. Shadow2331 Member Member

9. Princethepurplebetta Member Member

10. Shadow2331 Member Member

That is very nice of you, hope he gets better :) all the best to you :):)