Sick Betta?

1. m

mirfoss New Member Member

Hello! Just recently my fish Rhonda started acting strange, when she's usually very active and playful. She just lays on the bottom or on plants, and only comes to the surface to breathe. She is still very happy to eat though and will come out for that. She is starting to look a little rough and even lumpy. i don't think it's swim bladder disorder but she does seem to have a weird lump on her stomach/side, unless i'm just over thinking it.

She's in a 5.5 gal tank with a filter and a heater, i do regular water changes and tests and everything is perfect! i have been doing partial water changes every day to see if she would perk up. But it hasn't seemed to help.
    i feel really bad and want to help her but idk what is wrong! I'm trying to get pictures but she's hard to photograph. Will update if i get any

2. Zerologist

Zerologist Well Known Member Member

Any photos of her by now? I feel sad for you... :emoji_cry:

3. OP
    OP
    m

This is the best picture I could get. other than the lump do you see how her head is starting to look weird? i want to help her :((

Attached Files:

4. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

She is bloated. Fast her for 2 days and on the third day feed her a tiny bit of pea. (Frozen pea, blanched in hot water, skin removed)

5. OP
    OP
    m

I fasted her for 2 days before she started to get worse and now her scales look weird. i don't think she's just bloated

see the weird texture on her face? it's normally not like that

6. Vortexed

Vortexed Valued Member Member

It might be dropsy. I suggest putting her in a spare QT tank, and add about 5 teaspoons of espom salt.

7. OP
    OP
    m

Oh no! I hope it's not. I will look into that illness and setup her other tank :(

8. Vortexed

Vortexed Valued Member Member

Some peas may help if its a digestive problem aswell. Sorry about your betta, I know they are very interactive and easy to connect with :(

9. OP
    OP
    m

Thank you for your help! I hope i can help her before it's too late

10. KimberlyG

Just checking in to see how he was doing. I hope no news is good news.

11. OP
    OP
    m

She is still laying on the bottom but seems to be more active than before! No worse though, maybe it's working..

12. KimberlyG

Let's hope that is the case. I'll check back later.

13. OP
    OP
    m

I really hope so, she's a fighter so i'm praying she beats whatever this is. so just wish i knew exactly what is wrong so i could treat accordingly. But for now i'm keeping up with water changes and doing the salt baths in a QT

14. OP
    OP
    m

I believe she's starting to get clamped fins now i can't tell for sure so i'll see how she looks in the morning

Alright, her fins definitely look like she's starting to clamp them. also it looks like she's turning a shiny gold on her belly? it's not speckled like velvet though so idk if that's what it is. it's very strange. i need help:(

See how her belly is changing color

Someone help

15. OP
    OP
    m

I am still at a loss with my betta Rhonda! I have previously posted with no luck and i want to help her if possible. She is in a 5.5 gal cycled tank, water parameters are perfect and i do frequent water changes and vacuum the gravel every once in a while. There are only live plants only. Has a filter and a heater, the temp is a constant 80 degrees.
    Here are her symptoms again.
    -Lethargy
    -Hanging at bottom, breathing heavily
    -Bloating on one side only, i have tried fasting her for several days, no change.
    I have been doing salt baths in a QT as a recommendation from somebody else, she perks up slightly when she's in it but when she's back in her tank she just goes back to the bottom and lays.
    -The scales are pretruding on her lump only
    She was still eating, but i am currently still fasting her to see if it helps her bloating so i'm not sure if she has lost her appetite.

It's been over a week now and i feel awful watching her struggle! i need help figuring out what's wrong. she was so active and happy

Forgot to mention her belly is turning a weird gold, could it possibly be velvet? it's not specks and it's not all over either.

16. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you list the specific water parameters? pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates?

Can you get a full pic of your tank?

How often do you do water changes, and how much do you change?

What do you usually feed her?

17. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Threads have been merged to keep all the information in one place.

18. OP
    OP
    m

i can't get a full picture right now but on my last thread there is a picture of her and her lump.

ammonia 0
    nitrites 0
    nitrAtes 5
    ph 7.5

i do 25%-30% water changes once a week and gravel vac once or twice a month.
    she eats one pellet or a pinch of flakes a day and i give her a day off once a week. but am currently fasting her

those are the water test results from this morning.

Also the plastic plant in the first pic has been removed from the tank because i wanted to stop using fake plants and rough plants so she wouldn't hurt her fins since they are long.