Sick Betta?

1. KyleMarie Member Member

Hi Guys,

I was out for the day, and when I came back I noticed that one of my Bettas is not acting right. Just for starters, she is a female crowntail, and she is usually a very active sweet darling. But now she is laying on the ground of the little cave in the tank and her fins seem clamped. Her tank is at 79 degrees so the temperature shouldn't be a problem for her. As far as water levels go, its going through a cycle and it is currently at: Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = .25, and Nitrate = 5.0.

I'm super worried about her because I have no idea how to help and I have no idea what could possibly be wrong. She was perfectly fine this morning and now she looks like shes terrible. I've never seen her rest once. She has has a Betta Hammock in there for weeks and hasn't used it once because shes always swimming around, and now shes hiding away in the cave that she almost never goes in and shes just laying there.

Please let me know how I can help her, I hate to see her like this! :(

2. Nicoldeme Member Member

How big exactly is the tank? How long has it been up? I would recommend doing a 25% water change twice daily until it's completely cycled. Cut down on feeding her until that nitrite goes down and stay down for a couple days. She'll be alright as long as you keep a close eye on her. One thing I do if I have a cycling issue is put the fish in a breeding net in a different tank until theirs is done. Keep an eye on her, do a water change whenever she looks particularly listless.

3. KyleMarie Member Member

Its a 5 gallon and has been up for about a month now. I generally do 25% - 50% water changes every day in her tank to keep levels low.

4. Nicoldeme Member Member

Continue doing that and cut down on food. She'll get better once the tank finishes its natural cycle. Raise the temperature to about 82F and add a few Indian almond leaves. The tannins help calm fish :)

5. KyleMarie Member Member

So, for the majority of today she wasn't moving at all, and she actually seemed to have gotten worse from the other night. She literally was laying on her side in her little cave and was not moving at all. She only moved if she had to come up for air and then went right back to her original position. Her fins seemed really clamped and she was only wiggling her body to swim instead of using her fins to help her move.

I kept checking up on her and I started noticing that throughout the day surrounding her in her cave more and more poop was building up around her. Then, randomly, I went to go check and she was swimming around again and her fins were nowhere near as clamped. At that point I started using her Betta mirror on her to try to get her to move some, and she was flaring and things like that. She started using her fins more and I haven't seen her go lay back down at all.

So, I assumed that she was really uncomfortable because of constipation and, since I was fasting her already, I fed her part of a pea to help get out anything else if there is more in there. I did a 25% water change, and when I tested the water I found that the Ammonia went up from 0 to .25ppm. I figured that seemed about right because of the amount of poop, but, I added some prime, and then I left her alone for the rest of the night. I'll obviously keep up with the water changes and keep an eye on her, but she seems much better than before.