Sick betta?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Ayrigosa, Aug 14, 2015.

1. AyrigosaValued MemberMember

He lives alone, he's never been with another fish. He's in a 2.5 gallon, I clean it frequently. He has some rocks, pebbles and a moss ball.

He is fed 4 pellets a day.

It looks like his fins are merging together. Like becoming a long stick?

I've never had this problem with a betta before

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439598358.742752.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. SaturnValued MemberMember

Have you checked your water parameters? How long have you had him for and when did this start happening?

3. AyrigosaValued MemberMember

I've had him for maybe 5 months??

It's new, but he's never had very nice fins. Even when I got him they never flared right.

I'll try to find an old pic.

Also I changed and treated his water very recently it's good.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439602055.252943.jpg

This is what he used to look like.

He injured himself when I had only had him for a week or so - so he may have gotten an infection or something from his wounds?

He had sand as a substrate and cut himself all over

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2015
  4. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Can you give us exact readings of your water parameters? :)

5. AyrigosaValued MemberMember

Given that is 12am, no.
    I can tomorrow - I'm debating just putting him in my 20G, but then if he is sick it might spread

I put him in my 20G I think he has fin rot. Put Melafix and Kanaplex in the water. It should be cycled I've had it cycling for a while

6. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

That's called clamped fins. What's the temperature? He could be too cold. Make sure the temp is about 75-80 degrees. If that doesn't fix it I would add an Indian Almond Leaf and stress coat.

The main thing is the temperature!! Treat him quickly. If you haven't already at the first signs of his clamped fins it may already be too late. :(

Also make sure he's still eating. Keep up the water changes but don't do more than 50%. Also keep the substrate in the tank. Don't do anything that stresses him, like transporting or doing a 100% water change.

One more thing: Don't use aquarium salt with this!

7. AyrigosaValued MemberMember

You can see the tail being red and bumpy

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439613091.270820.jpg

I put him in a bigger tank with a better filter. It's at 82.

It's already got good hardness and everything cuz I had driftwood in there for a while.

Is it likely he'll recover?

What treats it?

8. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

Okay that's a good start! Do you have a heater in there to keep the temperature steady?

It depends on how long his fins have been clamped and how good you're keeping the water quality I think... But I believe there's still a chance.

API stress coat helps out with plenty of sicknesses. It couldn't hurt to add it. Also, you can buy Indian Almond leaves online cheaply. Plenty of people have used them successfully.

I'm pretty much repeating myself but I hope my added advice helps... Good luck!

9. AyrigosaValued MemberMember

I'll pick up API stress coat. Would Bettafix help?

It's not heated but I'm in an apartment with no air conditioning so it won't drop for another month or so. My heater broke, it's why the tank was empty.

10. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

I have had Bettafix and it does nothing whatsoever. I've also heard horror stories about it coating the labyrinth organ so the fish suffocates? No idea if that's true but I've backed off that medicine.

If you don't have a heater I would keep an eye on the temperature, in case it fluctuates throughout the day

11. AyrigosaValued MemberMember

It doesn't fluctuate - the heat I mean -- the tanks been set up for a year. Just used to have baby fancy goldfish.

Thanks for all the help, really hope he gets better. I know his fins will never recover fully, but a bit is better than not at all

12. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

Okay a steaddy temperature would be a key factor in his recovery

13. AyrigosaValued MemberMember

It won't fluctuate. I've already checked it from when I had corys in it last year.

14. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Just keep his water as clean as possible, frequent gravel vacs and water changes will help immensely. Indian almond leaves were also a good suggestion mentioned above, they can sometimes have antibacterial properties.

It looks like he has both fin rot and he's clamping to me, poor guy, he's not a happy camper. The bigger tank should make it easier for you to keep his water pristine, so good move there. Good luck, hope he recovers for you.

Fwiw, in think betta fix should be fine if used as directed, it's just a diluted version so as to not be so much of an issue with the labyrinth organ as the full strength meds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

15. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Agree with the above posters! ^^

16. AyrigosaValued MemberMember

Unfortunately it was too late, he passed away this morning. He must've gotten sick when he hurt himself a few months ago and then something this week just progressed it too far.

Thanks for all the advice.

17. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

Oh no!! So sorry for your loss :( At least you did all you could to help the poor little guy :) Good luck with future fish

18. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Sorry for your loss, Ayrigosa. :'( :console:

19. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Aw, I'm sorry you lost him :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice