Sick betta, wacky water parameters ?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Kaattiee, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Kaattiee

Kaattiee New Member Member

Hey guys, so I got a second tank and I have had it for about a week and a half now, there's one betta in it and he's been acting quite strange, he doesn't move around too much, except at feeding time, the rest of the time he floats in one spot and usually ends up leaning to one side ( I'll attach pictures) the first time I saw him do this I actually thought he was dead. When we first got the tank and fish it was really dirty, the person who owned the fish before had never done a cleaning or water change. I immediately cleaned it and did water change and cleaned his gravel.

I also did a 30% water change yesterday as it had been about a week since the last one.

Currently his water parameters are:

PH - 7.5
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0.3 - 0.8 that colour was kind of in between on this reading
    Nitrate 20
    Temperature - 78 degrees fahrenheit

Not sure about the tank size but I am pretty sure it's a bit less than a 5 gallon. It has a filter, heater and light.

Im just really unsure if I should go ahead with a water change or if the fish may have an infection which I should treat with medicine!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2016
  2. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

It looks like he has a swim bladder problem, probably from the water parameters. Fast him for 3 days then give him a pea, continue until he gets better. I'd do daily 25-50 percent waterchanges every day, after the parameters go down you can still do daily 25 percent or more waterchanges to help with his swimbladder. I have a betta who would completely float on his side and had to get behind the filter to stay upright. He would make bubbles nests because he was so bored and couldn't swim. Took around a week to cure him how he's the happiest little guy. I think your betta will be fine, so I hope all goes well and he gets better!

3. OP
    OP
    Kaattiee

Kaattiee New Member Member

4. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

No problem, glad to help.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice