Sick Betta/ Treating Fungus Or Columnaris

Caleb Smith

I woke up this morning and I noticed a white spore like growth on my Koi Betta, Khan. He also has raised scales all around the area and he is clamping his fins a lot. From my research, it looks like Columnaris and I'm very concerned. I went and picked up API Salt and API Fungus Cure. I have NOT used either of them because I know using the wrong medicine could potentially kill him. I setup a 5 gallon bucket with a brand new sponge filter and a heater as a treatment tank. I wanted to consult you guys before I treated him or moved him over.

Current Stats:
He is in a 5 gallon fluval spec set to low flow. His temp is set to 79.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
It is lightly planted with a few pieces of rock/driftwood. I do 50% WCs every week and, until now, he has been very healthy. I have currently owned him for about 3 months.

So what do you think it is? And how should I go about treating him? Will API Fungus cure work? I know Columnaris is a bacteria, but the main ingredient in Fungus cure, Acriflavine, is supposedly very effective on Columnaris.... Please Help.

thumbnail_IMG_5525.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5526.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5527.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5528.jpg

Potato1

I'm not an expert but you could try API Bettafix because I know that treats bacterial and fungal diseases. I am using that with Aquarium salt and Tri-sulphate tablets to cure my Betta's fin rot and it's slowly healing him.

Vaughn

One of my platies had something that looked the same and fungus cure worked for him. I would wait for someone else to chime in though since I’m not an expert. I wouldn’t use betta fix though, it makes their gills swell and suffocates them. You should use some already cycled filter media with him though so he doesn’t have to go through a cycle in your quarantine

TristanWright

Hey, something like this is happening to my betta too. I treated him with methaline blue for about five mins. I was unsure if I was doing it right because some sources say leave them in and some say so dips. Which is better for fungus? I also read somewhere that you could actually paint it directly onto the fish. Is that true?

Repolie

Yes that is a fungus and raised scales mean dropsy. Kanaplex is the most effective medication for dropsy and will also treat for some fungal things. Methylene Blue is the most effective against Funguses. And epsom salt baths will help relieve some fluid build up from dropsy.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SeaMonkey06
Replies
Views
pickle123
Replies
Views
fjh
Replies
Views