Sick Betta Or Old Age?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by _wheremyshrimps, Apr 16, 2017.

1. _

_wheremyshrimps New Member Member

Hello!
    This is my first time posting and I just made an account so I could post this. I've had a few bettas before who have gotten sick and I've always been able to identify what's going on pretty easily, due to all the information on the internet. I have a 10 gal. planted tank that I recently moved my betta into a few weeks ago. I let the tank cycle for over a month before I moved him in. I do 25% water changes every week. I wasn't home all weekend (which is pretty normal) and came home tonight to find my fish lying on the bottom of the tank. It seems like he's gasping for air. I don't see any sign of fin rot or any other illness other than him acting lethargic. I did a 25% water change as soon as I saw he was sick. I've had him for over 2 years and he's never gotten sick before, but over the past few months he's started loosing some of his color, which I've assumed was from old age. The only noticeable change in the tank is the start of diatoms. He's definitely not feeling well, but I'm just not sure if it's because he's old or not, and I'm not sure what to do :(

2. OP
    OP
    _

I just went to check on him again and he got up and swam into the plants near the surface. I was able to get a better look at him and he's definitely sick, his belly isn't normally black and his scales are sticking out. If I remember correctly this is dropsy?

3. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

Sounds like dropsy, I'd not feed him for a few days, and give him some kanaplex. You can also add Epsom salts to the tank to help out the swelling some.

4. Aster

Aster Well Known Member Member

Picture? Temperature? Is the tank filtered? What are the parameters?

If you didn't add ammonia and wait for nitrite and nitrate to spike, there was no food source for the bacteria and the tank didn't cycle.

Dropsy is characterized by pineconing scales.

5. OP
    OP
    _

Yes, my tank is filtered, and right now is about 76 degrees F. I tested today;

NH3&NH4 are less than .25 ppm. I have a test strip reader which is not as accurate as my ammonia test; and it reads as : GH: 180ppm, KH: between 80-120 ppm, pH: 7.5, NO2: .5 ppm, NO3: 40 ppm.

my plants came with a pond snail infestation and I added an assasin snail to help control their population as soon as I noticed them in there. I waited quite a while to put my fish in after that. I'm going to do another 25% water change before removing my filter and dosing the meds.

6. Aster

Sounds like your tank isn't cycled if you've got ammonia and nitrite. I'd do a 50% WC to bring those down.

Can you test your tap? Those nitrates are pretty high for a betta tank.

Pic of him?

7. OP
    OP
    _

Tonight I came home from work and checked on my fish, and there was no visible change from yesterday. When I went to go check my tap water I came back and he had died :( I'm pretty upset, I had him for a long time.

I'm still going to test my tap water, and I'm going to wait awhile to get another fish, but do you have any advice with what I should do with my tank? I know that I need to address the situation or else any other fish I get will get sick too and I don't want that to happen. Do I need to break down my tank and start over? Should I continue the dosage of medication in the tank?

8. OP
    OP
    _

I do have pictures of him but the forum says they're too large to upload.

9. Aster

I'm sorry :(

Depending on what it was, you might just have to drain the tank and clean everything inside it well, no soaps though. I think if you let it sit dry for a few weeks it'll be fine. I would then fishless cycle with ammonia before getting a new fish.

Could you resize the pics or upload onto another site?

10. OP
    OP
    _

Oh I did it! I just emailed it to myself in a smaller format.

Will my substrate be okay if I let it dry out? I'll have to throw my plants out, but I'm okay with doing that.

Attached Files:

11. Aster

You can bleach dip the plants. What substate do you have? The substrate should be fine dried.
    Dipping Plants to Eliminate Snails

It does look like he had dropsy, and in that case, there really wasn't much you could do :(

12. OP
    OP
    _

I have CaribSea EcoComplete. Thank you so much for all of your help, I appreciate it!

13. FishL:))

FishL:)) Well Known Member Member

Do you think you could take a picture of him?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice