Sick Betta. Opinions Needed.

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Redhed93, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Redhed93

Redhed93New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7
    Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 2 Gal
    How long has the tank been running? 1 year
    Does it have a filter? Yes
    Does it have a heater? Yes
    What is the water temperature? 78
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? Betta, Moss ball

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? 1-2 times a week
    How much of the water do you change? 25-50^
    What do you use to treat your water? Betta water conditioner
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? The gravel.

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No
    What do you use to test the water? PH tests strips.
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: N/A
    Nitrite:0
    Nitrate:0
    pH:7.5

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? 2x a day
    How much do you feed your fish? 3 pellets
    What brand of food do you feed your fish?
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? 1 year
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 1 week ago
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Discoloration on head, refusing to eat, inactive
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Not active at all, sits at top of tank, discoloration on head, refusing to eat.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
    I noticed about a week or so ago that my betta was starting to change color on top of his head. The spot started out small but got bigger. The spot is not white but just a little lighter than his normal color. Over time he has become more inactive and only staying on one side of his tank. He was eating until today. Also, he stays at the top for the most part. I looked online and thought maybe it’s a bacteria infection but wanted opinions. He has also been swimming on his side sometimes but not all the time. Pictures included. Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

2. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +492
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I can't really tell, but it might be fungus. You can try aquarium salt baths or a medication like Paraguard or Fungal Clear, maybe Bettafix.

You should get your water tested for ammonia as well so we can rule out ammonia issues. You have 0 nitrates? You should have some in a working, cycled aquarium.
    Such small aquariums can quickly turn toxic or cause issues.

He looks a little fat or bloated. Feeding 3 pellets twice a day may be too much for him? You could try fasting for a few days, although if he's fighting an infection or fungus, that may not be best. Maybe just feed once a day and see how he does.

3. OP
    OP
    Redhed93

Redhed93New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7
    I don’t know the exact number of nitrates. On the test strips the block is almost completely white. I’ve never had a problem with nitrates. I do occasionally add aquarium salt when I change the water as well. I have medicine that treats dropsy. (He had it at the beginning of this year) would it work the same for fungus?

4. OP
    OP
    Redhed93

Redhed93New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7
    You can see the discoloration on the top of his head but on the side of his face in the close up picture I posted.

5. CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +492
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yes, but if your tank is properly cycled, it should be producing nitrates. Do you know the nitrogen cycle?

For what purpose?

What is the medicine?

6. OP
    OP
    Redhed93

Redhed93New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7
    I am somewhat familiar with the nitrogen cycle. I had a live plant at one time but it died, but that was because I cleaned the whole tank. I add aquarium salt because I thought it was good for the fish? The medicines name is Kanaplex I believe. I bought it off amazon. It cured him of dropsy.

7. CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +492
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Here's my favorite explanation of the nitrogen cycle:

No, not for bettas. Livebearers such as mollies are often kept with a bit of salt as well as brackish fish, but bettas do not live in such environments and do not need it. Some plants are sensitive to salt as well.
    Yes, that can help if it's a bacterial infection or bacterial cause. I would start with something else though.

Why did you clean the tank out completely? That shouldn't kill a plant unless it relied on whatever was in the substrate for food instead of fertilizer, or you destroyed its roots.

8. OP
    OP
    Redhed93

Redhed93New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7
    So do you recommend melafix first? I cleaned the whole tank because after I treated him for fin rot (right after we adopted him) it turned the whole tank greenish yellow from the medicine. I believe it does because I got rid of all the bacteria good and bad. When he had dropsy I gave him epsom salt baths and that really helped with the bloating caused by dropsy.

9. OP
    OP
    Redhed93

Redhed93New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7
    The plant died because I believe it was relying on the substrate for food.

10. CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +492
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If you have Melafix on hand, you can try that, yes.
    For the future, activated carbon added to your filter (such as in the filter cartridge) will remove medicine and a large water change would've been sufficient. Completely cleaning a tank destroys the nitrogen cycle which is essential to a healthy aquarium and healthy fish.

11. OP
    OP
    Redhed93

Redhed93New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7
    Yes, I did take the filter out while giving the medicine. There was gunk on the walls so I decided to clean the whole tank (I know better now) I’m still learning.