Sick Betta (not An Emergency)

1. A

Ash T. New Member Member

I've had my betta fish for a long time, now. He's always been a very active betta fish. He follows your finger around the tank, he likes to swim through his little plant, and since I collect rocks I like to put rocks outside of his tank to give him new and interesting things to look at. Obviously it's because he's a very aggressive betta, but he gets very excited every time he sees something new. I love him to death.

Unfortunately, I've noticed that he has a very mild case of fin rot. I caught it quickly and brought home medication. I've been giving him the recommended dose, which is half a teaspoon. I followed the directions and added it straight to the tank. I also mix it around a bit with the handle of a fish net to make sure it's stirred in.

The problem is, I don't think that my fish is getting better. It hasn't gotten worse, it's just stayed the same. I checked his plant and did the whole pantyhose test, and it was just fine.

I'd hate to take out his plant because it always seems like he's hanging out around it and he likes to sleep under the big leaves. He doesn't seem to like the bubbles from the medication. When I pour the bubbles in, the filter causes a lot of bubbles to form at the top of the tank, sometimes even covering the entire top.

I will admit, I know it's bad, but I have him in a one gallon tank. He's always seemed to hate bigger tanks, and since he's pretty aggressive I'm worried about putting him in one of my community tanks. I have two community tanks; one with some goldfish and the other with mollies, tetras, and some small yellow and orange fish (I'm not sure what they're called). I'm worried about testing how they'll get along because I love my goldfish and all of the other fish are schooling fish, so I'd hate for some of them to end up alone.

But again, this isn't an emergency. It's very mild (just one or two tiny pin sized holes and his tail looks a little jagged here and there) but he has a gorgeous, large tail and I'd hate for him to get sick or even be unhappy. He is still just as active and his big personality hasn't changed at all. I love him to death and will try my best (within what I'm able to afford, of course. Currently I can't afford a bigger tank just for my betta. I'm only fifteen, and I'm mainly focusing on service hours instead of being payed to do work) to help him get better.

His name is Ron, by the way.

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Answer, and follow these directions.

What are the parameters as of now?
    How long have you had the fish?
    Does he have any tankmates?
    Is the tank filtered, and heated?

I'd start by cleaning the tank 75% and continue doing it everyday or so. You need to maintain clean water in order for his fins to heal. I'd use medications as a last resort, especially when you can clean the water for him.
    One thing that makes sense, fish always appreciate larger tanks. I'd look into getting him a 5 gallon, but 2.5 gallons at the least.

3. FlutterFish

FlutterFish Well Known Member Member

Firstly, let's tackle the one gallon tank issue. I'm not going to argue about the size of it, but the problem is that in smaller tanks, ammonia builds up far quicker than in let's say, a 10 gallon. If you haven't been doing almost daily water changes in your tank, there would have been definite ammonia problems. It seems like you haven't got a filter, and therefore it isn't cycled, so I'm assuming that there's a high level ammonia. Also, dirty water is the main source of fin rot. Can you check your water parameters for us?

Secondly, the only thing I'd recommend for mild fin rot is daily water changes - 50%. Clean water will help him heal the best, and very cost effective.

Thirdly, you might need to consider getting a bigger tank - a 2.5 gallon is only just a little bigger but will be more stable for him. It's also pretty cheap at PetCo - I got mine for $10. You can transfer everything else and add a cheap sponge filter from Amazon. In total, you'd be spending $20 at most. You obviously care very much for your fish, so your heart will benefit from seeing not only his tail healing but a change in his behavior.

I have a few questions :

1. Are you using water conditioner?
    2. Have you ever tried putting him in a bigger tank?
    3. Can you get us any pictures of your fish?

4. Faris101

Faris101 Valued Member Member

Honestly Ive seen Bettas do well even in tiny bowls but that's not right at least yours is in a well established tank
    Try doing weekly water changes as they help too but sometimes it may have accidentally hurt itself possibly which happens sometimes just do weekly water changes and medicate your tank
    What is your filter media by the way?

I'm also 15 I recently lost my goldfish I had for a year I feel

Pictures would also be helpful

5. OP
    OP
    A

Ash T. New Member Member

He does have a filter and I do weekly water changes. I use betta water conditioner. When in my ten gallon tank, he sat in the corner and kept to himself while sitting under a plant, but when in his tank, he swims around and seems a lot more energetic. I'll try my best to get money for a bigger tank if it'll help him.
    This is Ron. His fins aren't flared up, but this is what he looks like.

6. Faris101

Did you test your water?
    If your water parameters are fine then simply observe him for a day or two if the condition gets worse he does have fin rot
    Also is he still active?

7. OP
    OP
    A

Ash T. New Member Member

I haven't tested his water because test strips are SUPER expensive where I live ($15 for just a few test strips), but I can take it to PetCo and get the water tested for free. I will do that today. He is still very active and hasn't changed at all in behavior.

8. Faris101

Yep get it tested soon if his condition hasn't got worse in a few days I'd say he's fine
    If he could have possibly damaged his fins it would heal naturally if your water quality is good

9. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

He's probably being more energetic in the 1 gallon because it's smaller, and he has less places to move. That would cause him to want to swim around quicker than he would in a larger tank.
    He will eventually get used to it, and love the space.