Sick Betta Need Help.

Justin G

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Thank you for all the useful information on this site. I am a very experienced saltwater guy that recently got into freshwater.

I bought a betta (koi) not sure of the exact name but I believe she is just a betta koi. I have had her for about a year in a 20 gallon tank (with another goldfish I removed because it was too dirty) she did not see to mind the company or mind being by herself.

She has always been lazy and just hangs on the bottom of the tank by herself. A little over two weeks ago I bought some neon tetra for the tank and like a bozo I didn’t quarantine them. The next day my wife says what are those white spots all over the New fish... I took them out and put them in a quarantine tank and tried treating them but they ended up all passing two days later.

I was very concerned regarding the koi (only other fish is a guppy) so I watched close and then noticed some ich on the koi. I immediately started a salt treatment and brought temperature up to 85. After about 3-4 days days my betta got more lethargic and breathing much heavier but the ich spots disappeared. I starting lowering the temp on the 6th day and doing 25% water changes daily (including New salt for water removed). The breathing got a little better however she was still laying on her Side on the bottom, not eating. When she moves it looks like she can’t swim properly almost like a figure eight or looks like she has some sort of paralysis effecting her swimming. My wife is so upset about it and I am not sure what to do. We really love this fish.

I started treating yesterday with Erythromiacin but no change yet. Also started removing the salt by doing just freshwater changes.

I can make a video if anybody would like. Just hoping somebody has some suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.
Justin

My water parameters are perfect.

IHaveADogToo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I had something similar happen. I have one betta who's tank was infected with ich, and when I treated for ich, it made parasites that must have been dormant in her system suddenly become active. Somehow the heat encouraged a rapid advancement of gill flukes and tapeworm in this fish, and I have been treating her for parasites ever since.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it might be helpful.

IHaveADogToo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been treating her with API General Cure. After 3 doeses the tapeworm was gone, then I gave her 2 weeks of recovery time in quarantine. Unfortunately, the gill flukes came back. Apparently I didn't get all the spawn. So I'm doing another round of API General Cure now. It's like lice... you can kill the lice but the eggs will still hatch later.

(Yes, she had both tapeworm and gill flukes at the same time)

IHaveADogToo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I would complete the ich treatment first. One type of treatment at a time. Make sure the water is clean and free of the previous medication before starting a new medication. 6 days is not long enough to treat ich. Ich spawns when it dies.

Justin G

Reaction score
I got through the ich treatment - 10 days with salt. I did keep temperature At 85 for a few days then brought it down to 81 over the remaining period as it looked like she was having trouble with heat.

I started removing salt (via 20% water changes) yesterday and started the new treatment for with Erythromiacin yesterday.

IHaveADogToo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
10 days is another story. Yes, you should be fine to continue doing what you're doing.

I forgot to ask - can you post a picture of your betta? One from the side and one from overhead? Some of the symptoms you are describing aren't sitting well with me, and I'd like to look at the fish and see if anything stands out as wrong.

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ohhh my gosh. that poor thing. i am so sorry. i have nothing to add except that i sincerely hope she gets better!!! she is beautiful.

Justin G

Reaction score
midna said:
ohhh my gosh. that poor thing. i am so sorry. i have nothing to add except that i sincerely hope she gets better!!! she is beautiful.
Thank you .

IHaveADogToo said:
10 days is another story. Yes, you should be fine to continue doing what you're doing.

I forgot to ask - can you post a picture of your betta? One from the side and one from overhead? Some of the symptoms you are describing aren't sitting well with me, and I'd like to look at the fish and see if anything stands out as wrong.
Thanks for your help. I posted two pics and can get more when she moves. She has always been very lazy and just laid on her side But now with the swimming that is very erratic and seldom and the previous ich.

IHaveADogToo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
She's a really beautiful betta! My heart is breaking looking at those photos of her laying on her side. Clearly she is not feeling well. She's telling you every way she knows how.

Sadly, when a betta lays on their side like that, it's often too late. You can try and play the medication game, but I'm afraid you might just be spending a bunch of money on medicating a fish that's going to die anyway.

You should get on youtube and look up lifewithpets and creative pet keeping. Find their videos where they treat sick bettas. You will see this same behavior, laying on the side, only coming up for air, not eating. Whenever one of their bettas does that, they put them in a small container, like tupperware or a small tank, and they make sure the water level is really low so the fish doesn't have to swim to reach the surface for air, all they have to do is poke their head up. Sometimes the fish bounces back, but if not, they're at least making the fish more comfortable.

Justin G

Reaction score
Okay. Good to know. I don’t mind spending the money on medications at all. I would love to have her in better shape but her quality of life is very important. Maybe I will try and move her into a small quarantine that is easier. Should I continue with same meds or try and go with a general antibiotic type.

IHaveADogToo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe give her a break from the meds? Meds can really mess a fish up sometimes, especially when you don't know what you're treating. Just try the shallow quarantine for now. Put an indian almond leaf in with her, if you can find some. It will release tannins and turn the water a tea color, but it's very therapeutic for bettas. They like tannin water, and they like to lay on indian almond leaves.

Give her a few days in the shallow water with an almond leaf and watch her condition closely. She might get better, or worse. If she gets worse, we will have new symptoms, and can better diagnose the problem. If she gets better, well, yay.

gracerig

Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear this, she's a lovely girl. I had a similar problem with a little girl I rescued from a pet store. She had one of the worst cases of ich I'd ever seen and I brought her home to treat her. All the ich spots went away and she was doing better for about a week, but then she stopped eating and would lay on the bottom of the tank and only swim up occasionally for air. I had no idea what was wrong and it was heartbreaking. Maybe try putting in an airstone and lowering the water level in the tank to make it easier for her to breathe. I know methylene blue can help sometimes with helping oxygen getting into their tissues, so you might want to research that too.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom