Help Sick Betta, looking bad, ICH.

Mauii143

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hi my fish is named mauii. i think he has white spots his tail and his lower fins under his belly look like slight rot. now, i got him w/o cycling the tank, hes in a aqueon minibow1 with filter. so ppl told me he'd prob get sick.. how would i treat this? hes eating and swimming and acting good but there are some very small white spots; and on his head to the middle of his body its like a dull coating its wierd...its not velvet? i dont think like a gray coating over his blue please help

Mauii143

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i have a 10 gallon i want to move him to i need to buy a heater for it. no heater for the 1 gallon. maracide/maroxy is good for just ich or what does his gray like coating sound like? where do i buy those products

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mauii 143, I just did a research paper on Bettas, and I read about that gray coat somewhere. I can't remember exactly what it is, but it's something to do with his slime coat. Maybe someone else will have experience with this, cuz I don't remember what you do. Daily 50% water changes will help though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mauii143

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ty charlmagne ill research. ask around. im worried hes my first fish.

Mauii143

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok so what do i do?medicate his water. change half everyday? then how long will it take to clear up? whenit does i clean the tank with scolding water? thatll interrupt the cycling process?!.......

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mauii143: Yes medicate his water and change some everyday and if you clean the tank with really hot water it will kill any live bacteria that you have going. Just another suggestion Mauii143 you would probably get a lot more responses if you make your own thread. Hope your betta feels better!

Mauii143

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
help im pretty sure my betta has ich. he is currently in a 1 gallon. but i do have a 10 gallon. they are both not cycled. i didnt know about cycling when i first got him, thats what prob got him sick. i have aquarium salt, i added 1/2 tsp yesterday night. now, should i move him into the big tank? how should i treat this ich? exactly. um, if i should keep him in the 1 gallon, then how much water change everyday? AND do i add the salt everytime i put new water in? my 10 gallon is an aqueon, medium size filter. please help he looks bad.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
im sorry your lil man is sick
at this point, I would set up the 10g and use tap water conditioner...put something over the intake valve of the filter so his weakness doesnt get him sucked into it....dont fill it all the way, as he needs to get to the top to breath....get some prime or amquel+ for water conditioner to start using when you get an ammonia reading in the 10g tank...it will take some time as bettas are not huge waste producers....I would stop using the salt and just slowly turn up his tank temps to 86 for 2 weeks...do 2 gravel vacs a week to get up all the ich spores...making sure the new water going in, is 86 degrees also...add an air stone as warmer water has less oxygen....add some fresh garlic to his food to see if you can get him to eat some...that will help allot...and if you can find vita chem (most have to order it online) that will do wonders also..goodluck!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mauii143, welcome to FishLore!!
I moved your posts out of AmyGSmith's thread into this one.
It's best to have a thread of your own, it's less confusing.
Good luck, I hope your betta feels better.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Shawnie's advice is bang on! Follow it to the letter and you will be treating the ICH and also keeping him as safe as you possibly can in an uncycled tank. Just remember when you add new water, make sure it is the same temp, you don't want the temp dipping over the two weeks at all.

Mauii143

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mauii within the hour looks like hes pale like silverish underneath his head! i moved him to the big tank maybe thats it i hope im not killing him!!! help!! hes still eating. what can i put over the intake? im slowly raising the temp of the water 2 degrees every 4 hours. to get it up to 85, right? 40 percent daily water changes? i dont want him to die =( why is he sitting under the filter???? flaring lmbo!! sorry stray observation, i have to get an air stone friday. hes exploring. he put his head in front of the outtake of the filter and blew bubbles. he did that with the 1 gallon tank...as if a person who was hot was putting their head in front of the air conditioner to get cooler, he puts his face in front of the running water lol.....anywho there is not much blue left on him. now he looks mostly red, silver underneath head one of his flare fins come out mostly not two, and he looks like he has a few stripes down the side of him whats happening??????? please somebody tell me is he unsaveable? is he dying???

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm sorry that your betta isn't well.
Can you post a picture? Are you sure it's ich?

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wow! He's SO pretty! I think the gray on his head is just his natural coloring. Some Bettas have that. My Bettas liked to sit under the filter flaring at their reflections, so I put some pieces of paper there. That helped. I think you're only supposed to raise it to around 80, and 40% water changes might be a bit too much. Idk about that though. I don't see any ich on him. When our fish got ich, they had little white dots all over. I think he'll be fine!

Mauii143

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
he was blue with red, this silverish wasnt there a week ago. hes getting lighter and lighter in color, now hes on the bottom of the tank im scared for him, i hope hes not dying, if he doesnt have ick then was is wrong with him? he has a couple white dots on his tail the silverish is not him, the stripes are not him, and the black under his head wasnt there. he was a nice vibrant blue in the store, and now hes not. =( the first pic is creepy compared to what he looked like. hes still eating though. and when he flares only one side goes out

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh dear, that doesn't sound too good. Um, in regards to the color, some bettas have been known to change color a little bit. I can't really see his stripes in the pics, um, are they horizontal along his body? I believe those are stress stripes. Only one side puffing out when he flares though is not good, but I'm not sure what could cause that I'm really sorry! Have you treated him with anything?

Mauii143

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i just moved him into the 10 gallon, i have the heater, go back to my post of the pics i edited it andput a before photo... all i have done is keep the water clean, and put some salt-aquarium kind, ive been told the salt helps them. i have no idea what is wrong with him can u pass this post around to see if anyone can help

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In the first couple of after pics, he looks fine. The last after picture, he doesn't look the same. Maybe it's the camera angle?
He was in a 1g for while? How were the water readings in it? Could be he's feeling the effects of that.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom