Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Sick Betta Lethargic, Sitting On Bottom Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Evander, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Evander Valued Member Member

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 10g
    How long has the tank been running? 2 years
    Does it have a filter? Yes
    Does it have a heater? Yes
    What is the water temperature? 78
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 betta fish, a couple ferns and swords, 2 most balls

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? Every 5-9 days
    How much of the water do you change? Usually about 50%
    What do you use to treat your water? Prime
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Yes, almost every time

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? It was cycled when I added this fish
    What do you use to test the water? Fresh water master test kit
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

These parameters are what they were before I left. I am recovering from surgery 5 hours away from where my sister is babysitting him. She might be able to get me updated tests tonight.

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 10
    pH: I can't remember exactly, I think it was 7? But it stays steady

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? Every day/every other day
    How much do you feed your fish? 1-4 pellets, occasional dehydrated blood worms, frozen shrimp, fruit flies
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega one pellets, san Francisco bay frozen brine shrimp, petco fruit flies and petsmart blood worms
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
    Yes, usually only on holidays

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? 11 months
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 1 month
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Bloated, lethargic, dull gray colors
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? I started doing more water changes, tried feeding him peas for the bloating, fasting, eating less, melafix
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? He was a little bad when I got him from petco almost a year ago but seemed to do great after he got into a big clean home
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Lethargic, and he went from mostly white red and translucent to really dark dull gray

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

Both of my betta got suddenly ill about a month ago, they both turned dark colored and my other one got lethargic. Their parameters both seemed fine to me and nothing had changed in their tanks. But this boy (Barbosa, the one still alive) also got bloated. The other one died fast but this one seemed to be doing well and like his color was coming back, though he stayed bloated.

I am across my state bedridden recovering from surgery, but my sister is watching him. She told me that he's lethargic and rarely comes up off of the bottom. She told me she hasn't been doing water changes as often as she should so she's doing one right now. She's moving him into a temporary bowl with a heater so she can do the water change without disturbing him.

I have no idea what to do :( the only thing I can think of is they both got sick after I fed them the Petco fruit flies, nothing else has changed. Ive had Barbosa for almost a year and I had Aquarius for 3 before he died suddenly.

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some responses today, get well soon too :)

3. Aquafina New Member Member

How knowledgeable is your sister in fish? Is she vacuuming the gravel during the water changes? Is she checking him everyday to see if his fins or color or anything about him is changing. Is she able to do a water test to check the current levels? What medicine do you have available at home for her to use if necessary?

4. BettaMom98 Valued Member Member

Was he bloated or pineconing, two different things but people get them mixed up often enough. also, turning grey sounds like graphite disease. Can you get pics?