Sick betta in community tank

Reese15

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My Luka has a very big lump on one side, and one of his fins is grey and dangly. I've been treating with Melafix for three days, and it's helped his swelling (there was two lumps)

It's a planted, filtered 10g tank that also includes 3 black tetras, another tetra that I forgot the type (he's flat and yellowish), 4 adult snails plus their offspring.

How can I treat my betta? Our hospital tank right now is just a one gallon bowl, and I can't do that to him.

LiterallyHydro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Are you able to provide any pictures of the betta in question? What are your water parameters? Specifically pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

You really shouldn't house bettas with other fish, in the end it usually just leads to a bloodbath. The other issue is your tank is too small to attempt the setup, and the tetras all need larger tanks. They are also schooling fish and need to be at minimum of 6 of each species.

I do feel sorry for your betta and hopefully someone is able to help.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore!
Could you get a pic of the betta?
I'm sorry to say, but as a side note that tank is too small for a betta community and for the tetras.
Also tetras need a group of 6+.
Sorry about your fish.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'd recommend at least a 20 gallon tank for the tetras and a separate tank for the betta.

Et tu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Melafix is not for use on betta or on labyrinth fish. A heated covered 1 gallon bowl would be fine for his hospital.

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Hope you like the site!

Can you get a picture? That might help us identify what it is.

Also, on a side note, that tank is too small for a community tank with a betta, I'd recommend at least 20 gallons. Plus, the tetras need to be in schools of six or more, so......

Good luck!

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
And these tetras are too big for this tank..... could you get a pic of the second one that you don't know what type it is?

Reese15

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got everyone in one picture!
This shows his lump pretty well, it's gone down a little since yesterday- I did a 25% water change and vacuumed a third of the gravel.

I don't test my water at home. If I need to, I can take it to the pet store, but it's the one that told me that my snails wouldn't reproduce in my tank, that it was big enough, and that 3 is enough to school. So, obviously, they aren't very reliable.

He's about two inches long

Last edited by a moderator:

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I got everyone in one picture!
This shows his lump pretty well, it's gone down a little since yesterday- I did a 25% water change and vacuumed a third of the gravel.

I don't test my water at home. If I need to, I can take it to the pet store, but it's the one that told me that my snails wouldn't reproduce in my tank, that it was big enough, and that 3 is enough to school. So, obviously, they aren't very reliable.
Yea the number one rule you're gonna learn when dealing with LFS's is to take everything they say with a huge grain of salt. They are there to sell you stuff and con naive people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reese15

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
One guy did tell me to keep goldfish with my betta to help when I had a previous snail problem. I should have left then and there.

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yikes. Yeah, they don't sound like a very good choice for an information source lol! Considering goldies are one of the fish NOT to put with a betta.........

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom