Sick Betta (I think)

Justin I

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello Fishlore,
I have a female veiltail betta in a 5 gallon heated tank. Water parameters are good, but I did recently add a very small amount of algaecide and I removed a plant that was dying during my last water change on Sunday. She has developed what looks like a tan-colored bulb on her left side which appears to be protruding from underneath her scales. She does not seem distressed and is swimming fine. I just noticed this moments before I posted this; I've had her for over a year with absolutely no issues until now.

Any advice would be most appreciated! I have attached a photo; though her body is slightly blurry, the affected spot is pretty easy to see.
-J
sick betta.jpg

EmbersToAshes

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Interesting. It could be a Tumour but it's unusual for them to pop up in such a short amount of time. It's hard to tell for sure by the pic but by your description it sounds like some type of cyst probably from injury or parasites. But it could be many things. Try and get a clearer pic and watch it closely for any changes in size shape or texture, or any visible parasites. Take note of any behavior differences or unusual movements such as scratching against decor.

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I can't tell from the picture, but my best guess is that it could be a tumor. A clearer picture would really help. From the picture it also seems like she might have fin rot, but I can't really tell. Also, isn't algaecide meant for pools? I couldn't find any info on if it was safe for tank use.

OP
J

Justin I

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
julifhy said:
I can't tell from the picture, but my best guess is that it could be a tumor. A clearer picture would really help. From the picture it also seems like she might have fin rot, but I can't really tell. Also, isn't algaecide meant for pools? I couldn't find any info on if it was safe for tank use.
Thank you for the links. I will definitely check them out, and I will try to get a better picture at some point in the very near future.

The algaecide I used was from a pet store, and its made by AGI. It's purpose is to help remove and control the growth of algae in aquaria, but you only add very small amounts (1 mg for every 10 gallons, and I even undercut that just to err on the side of caution).

OP
J

Justin I

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
EmbersToAshes said:
Interesting. It could be a Tumour but it's unusual for them to pop up in such a short amount of time. It's hard to tell for sure by the pic but by your description it sounds like some type of cyst probably from injury or parasites. But it could be many things. Try and get a clearer pic and watch it closely for any changes in size shape or texture, or any visible parasites. Take note of any behavior differences or unusual movements such as scratching against decor.
I sure will keep a close eye on her. I'm honestly hoping that it's just a result of too much food; I have been feeding her a little generously in the past couple of days.

Thank you very much for your response and advice!
-J

EmbersToAshes

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Also make sure to keep the water very clean with water chages to promote healing. Hope it clears up! Post pictures if it gets worse and make a post if you see any more symptoms develop.

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Justin I said:
Thank you for the links. I will definitely check them out, and I will try to get a better picture at some point in the very near future.

The algaecide I used was from a pet store, and its made by AGI. It's purpose is to help remove and control the growth of algae in aquaria, but you only add very small amounts (1 mg for every 10 gallons, and I even undercut that just to err on the side of caution).
I didn't post any links. Are you talking about the ones in my signature?

Justin I said:
I sure will keep a close eye on her. I'm honestly hoping that it's just a result of too much food; I have been feeding her a little generously in the past couple of days.

Thank you very much for your response and advice!
-J
I'm not sure a tumor or a cycst can be caused by overfeeding. It's usually genetics.
How much were you feeding her?

OP
J

Justin I

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
julifhy said:
I didn't post any links. Are you talking about the ones in my signature?

I'm not sure a tumor or a cycst can be caused by overfeeding. It's usually genetics.
How much were you feeding her?
I was feeding her three to four little pellets twice a day. Usually, I do 2. I am hoping that the location of the cyst (for lack of a 100% accurate term) is just a swollen intestine or stomach.

Yes, the links in your signature.

OP
J

Justin I

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
EmbersToAshes said:
Also make sure to keep the water very clean with water chages to promote healing. Hope it clears up! Post pictures if it gets worse and make a post if you see any more symptoms develop.
I sure will! I'm having a hard time getting her to show me the side with the bump; I only got a sneak peek at it this morning, but unfortunately, it appears worse. I'll try to get another, better photo sometime today.

OP
J

Justin I

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi again everyone,
Three-day update: the cyst (for lack of a better word) is still there, and a small area directly next to it (towards her head) is also swollen. It was swollen in the first photo too, but I think its slightly worse today.

She does not show any physical signs of distress; no flashing, frantic swimming, or lethargy. I have attached a photo; I apologize for the quality, every time I tried to get a photo, either she would move or the camera would re-focus. I think this one is better than the last though.

I appreciate any and all suggestions or insights. Thanks!
-J
sick betta 2.jpg

OP
J

Justin I

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Here is another photo, taken from above during a water change. I feel like it looks more serious from this angle. She continues to act normally otherwise. Thank you again for any and all suggestions and insight!
20200530_140900.jpg

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Justin I said:
Here is another photo, taken from above during a water change. I feel like it looks more serious from this angle. She continues to act normally otherwise. Thank you again for any and all suggestions and insight!
20200530_140900.jpg
This picture shows the tumor a lot better. Is the tumor growing? You mentioned that it looks worse, so I’m assuming it is.
Sadly there is nothing you can do besides seeking out someone who could possibly treat or remove it (like a veterinarian who specializes in fish). I know someone like this would be hard to find, so I wish you best of luck.
At least the tumor isn’t bothering her. That’s a good sign. I guess what I would recommend you do is keep up with water changes, maybe add Indian almond leaves, and maybe add some more plants to your tank to make her feel more comfortable.

OP
J

Justin I

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Another update:
If you check out the photo, you will notice the tan tumor towards her tail. That tan bulb is still there, but it has shrunk considerably. The other swollen spot, closer to her head, is also smaller. Fingers crossed that this was some weird, freak ailment. Maybe a small reaction to the algaecide, or the removal of the plant that I mentioned in my first post? She still behaves normally, and does not appear to be distressed. In fact, she's swimming around more today than she did in the past couple of days.

Thank you all again so much for your assistance! I will continue to keep you updated.

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Justin I said:
Another update:
If you check out the photo, you will notice the tan tumor towards her tail. That tan bulb is still there, but it has shrunk considerably. The other swollen spot, closer to her head, is also smaller. Fingers crossed that this was some weird, freak ailment. Maybe a small reaction to the algaecide, or the removal of the plant that I mentioned in my first post? She still behaves normally, and does not appear to be distressed. In fact, she's swimming around more today than she did in the past couple of days.

Thank you all again so much for your assistance! I will continue to keep you updated.
I’m so glad to hear that! I hope she’s going to keep recovering and be completely healthy soon! My fingers are crossed! :)

New Threads