Sick Betta Help!!

Onlyonekels

Reaction score
My Betta has been I'll for about 3 weeks. I noticed as he was up by the surface not moving or paying me much attention. His fims were shredding rapidly so I believed it was severe fin rot. After missing a few feeds and testing with fin rot and fungus control he began to acknowledge me but still stay at the top. I took a sample of water to the pet shop for testing water is perfect! He' in a 10litre tank with small heater but my room stays warm and the thermometr is always as 24 -25 degrees. The pet shop recommended I treat with Melafix . After reading reviews i was sceptical but deperate! Partial water changes for 2 days added bk in the carbon and then added the premixed melafix . After 2 days the gills are severey swollen and hanging out! I've done a full water change! !nd a methylene blue bath but my fish is now turning brown. Does anyone know what the brown is. He stopped swimming today and I feel like he's going to die

Attachments

arichier

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do you have any plants in the tank at all? My friend had a Betta in this similar situation a couple of months ago and we think it was the plants making him ill (possibly leeching toxins into the water that the betta couldn't regulate). She took everything out of her tank for treatment, completed an 80 percent water change and within a couple of hours while out at the shops buying the treatment her betta started picking up. After a day he was pretty much back to normal and she didn't treat him in the end.

I don't know much about Betta fish but thought it was worth my two cents.

Onlyonekels

Reaction score
Nope no plants. Thank you. It' so irritating as I live in the UK medicines for bacteria aren't availiable quickly and I' pretty sure it's not fungal

arichier

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know the feeling, I live in Liverpool and it's hard to get hold of good quality medicines in an emergency situation. I hope you manage to get sorted and your little one pulls through! Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject can give you some good advice.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Actually, even bettafix shouldn't be used with betta's as it still has tea tree oil in it. The tea tree oil coats the labyrinth organ and can suffocate them... Do you happen to have an air pump/air stone? If I were you, I would try to agitate the water and get some good oxygenated water flowing by him. Also, plants don't leave toxins unless they're actual toxic plants, which those sold in the aquarium hobby are not, but they could have harmful pesticides and should always be well rinsed.
What is your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate at? What kind of filter do you have? I'd do another 50% water change real quick as well.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom