Sick Betta Has Dropsy?

1. Holl

Holl New Member Member

Need some help. I think Leonard has dropsy which I'm treating with KanaPlex, but I've also noticed his head is a little large. Is this part of dropsy too or is this something totally different? He has a 2.5 gal tank, heater, filter (carbon currently out while medicating), and an apple snail (Sheldon) tankmate. He gets 25%-30% water changes once a week. 2gshm4y.jpg

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

He looks to be in the end stages of dropsy, I would try giving him daily or even twice daily epsom salt baths. Use about a tablespoon per gallon and let him soak in there for 10-15min while monitoring him. The epsom salts will draw out the fluid that's causing him to get puffy. Keep using the kanaplex and hope for the best. Dropsy doesn't usually end well though.

3. Hunterhusker

Hunterhusker Valued Member Member

Sorry about your fish. I had a tank of five or six beautiful guppies. My favorite got dropsy and then the entire tank died a while later. Nothing I could do helped in the end i had to euthanize them. I couldn't do it I chickened out and let them suffer. I still feel bad about it. Sadly that's my best reccomendation dropsy is usually a death sentence. I mean try the baths but don't do what I did when it comes to.kt and he stops eating and he can barely move and he is bleeding externally. Put him down. It broke my heart. I can't even look at guppies at the store anymore.

Oh and PS I forgot to add he doesnt look as bad as mine did when they died I'd keep up with it and do what you can.

4. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

His head is likely larger because of the fluid buildup, making his adominal and head swell up. The pineconing if the scales are also very likely to make it seem larger. It also looks like the admominal swelling may be pushing his gill plates out a bit as well. So, in short, yes. Dropsy can make the head appear bigger.

Just a heads up, but if your only treating with keneplex and doing weekly waterchanges then it’s less likely he’ll recover. With dropsy you’ve really got to go all out on it, Demeter covers most of the things you need to do, but there are few more. If your interested in more info I wrote an article I can link to and if you have any more questions I’d be happy to answer any I can.

Unfortunately he looks to be in the really late stages as already stated, so I don’t know how much help doing the other things would have at this point. I’m really sorry he has this, I hope he gets better soon or passes peacefully.

5. T

TammySE New Member Member

Did you little guy get better or pass? My 2.5 year Betta looks just like this right now. :(