Sick Betta Fish, Please Help Me

1. l

lunar_cakes New Member Member

Hi all, my daughters betta fish appears to be sick, i spoke to someone at the pet shop and they recommended using multi cure, i am not sure if it working and i have no idea what sickness my daughters fish has, i will post as many pictures as possible. 2 pictures before the multi cure, the rest are after multi cure were added . i don't know what this is or how to treat it, it appears a whitish marks on his fins

Attached Files:

2. jl_1005

jl_1005 Valued Member Member

Hi, the staff at the pet shop will always recommend you buy something... sometimes you don't have to treat the betta with medication yet.

Is the tank heated and filtered? How long have you had the betta?

3. LucyC

LucyC Valued Member Member

What size tank is it? How often do you change the water? What are the water parameters(ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? Can you get a clearer picture? Sorry for so many questions:)

4. Ethan grassetti

Ethan grassetti New Member Member

It's hard to tell I can't the fish very well. Need better lighting to see the fish

5. Faris101

Faris101 Valued Member Member

If it's whitish spots then it's definitely ick you can cure it by regular water changes

6. Tiffbuggie

Tiffbuggie New Member Member

Never? Well guess I'm out of a job then. All of my employees are well versed in fish needs and while we usually recommend a product to help clear up the issues. It's not always necessary. People want fast cures to issues and we try our best to cater to our pet parents needs. Just thought I would throw that in there before you ruin all pet store employees reputations!

7. LucyC

LucyC Valued Member Member

Sorry! I feel really bad now. Shouldnt have said that. Edited that post. I didn't mean that no petstore people are knowledgeable, there are definitely lots that are. I just meant that lots of pet store employees do not know about fish and just want a profit, so will try to sell you almost anything. I wasn't trying to destroy reputations! All the stores around me just try to sell you anything, and don't know anything about fish. I want trying to hurt feelings, I'm sure you inform your customers well :) sorry

8. Tiffbuggie

Tiffbuggie New Member Member

Sorry to go on the defense! I just take pride in my associates knowledge and my department! Not every store is the same unfortunately. Just wanted to share that there are a few good ones out there!

9. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Ick isn't cured just by doing water changes. It's also not just white spots, it should look like salt sprinkled on the fish. White spots can be something else. To cure ick one can use medication or (not and "or") put the heat up to 86 degrees Fahrenheit for two weeks. Making sure to vacuum the substrate well, the salt-like spots fall off and go into the substrate.

10. OP
    OP
    l

it lives in a 20 litre tank, was told to put the fish in a smaller tank while using the multicure, the tank is filtered and heated. the fish is over a year old, was a present to my daughter from my ex, i will try and get some better pictures

11. OP
    OP
    l

here are some more pics...not much clearer though

Attached Files:

12. OP
    OP
    l

ammonia, nitrite, nitrate i dont know those levels, honestly i am trying to keep this fish alive for my daughter, i know nothing about fish and i don't know anyone where i live that knows about fish

13. OP
    OP
    l

the spots just look like he has lost some colour or something, does not look like he has been sprinkled with salt

14. clk89

Okay so 20 liters is fine for one betta, it's about five gallons. What do you have the temperature set at? I would recommend getting api freshwater liquid water test so you can figure out the parameters. I also suggest reading up on the Nitrogen Cycle (you should be able to click the words in blue for an article on it). I would start with a water change. Do you use a dechorinator like prime?

Are the white spots just scales missing or is it fluffy at all like fungal?

15. OP
    OP
    l

its set at 26 degrees celsius, it is only on his tail, i can't see any missing scales, i don't think it looks fluffy but it might be. i use aqua one beta water conditioner Aqua One Betta conditioner 50mL Petbarn
    will definitely get a freshwater liquid water test. will read up on the nitrogen cycle, i have cleaned the water in his normal tank, should i just put him back in his normal tank

16. clk89

What is his normal tank and why did you take him out of it? When you clean the tank, did you clean the filter in old tank water?

He could be stressed out because of the move, could be fin rot, or he could of gotten his tail ripped on decor.

17. OP
    OP
    l

his normal tank is the 20 litre tank the pet shop advised me to move him to a smaller tank while using the multicure, yes i cleaned the filter, i panicked and clean everything i didn't want him to die. how do i treat fin rot

18. Cori Elizabeth

Cori Elizabeth Well Known Member Member

19. OP
    OP
    l

here are some more pics

Attached Files:

20. OP
    OP
    l